Floor tile notched spreader

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A post I read says use a 20mm half moon notch, why do you need to use such a large notch trowel for laying floor tiles?

Wall tiles go on using a 5-6mm notch so when the tile is set in position the bed will be ~ 3mm.

A 20mm notch floor trowel will end up making addy bed over 10mm thick. Why is this thickness needed?

There may be an obvious answer from a pro but if a 5mm notch can give full coverage then why is a 20mm notch needed?

I'm not questioning the norm, just like to understand why the norm is so!

Sponsored Links
Always used a 10mm myself using a 20mm will give a bed thicker than the tile I would imagine

A post I read says use a 20mm half moon notch, why do you need to use such a large notch trowel for laying floor tiles?

Wall tiles go on using a 5-6mm notch so when the tile is set in position the bed will be ~ 3mm.

A 20mm notch floor trowel will end up making addy bed over 10mm thick. Why is this thickness needed?

There may be an obvious answer from a pro but if a 5mm notch can give full coverage then why is a 20mm notch needed?

I'm not questioning the norm, just like to understand why the norm is so!

20 mm serated trowel used on really large format tiles mate, i use them on 1200 and 1600mm porc etc

Sponsored Links
Sorry to but in but why does large tiles require a deeper bed, just for future reference

my personal take on it is, if you use a 10mm trowel on such a large and heavy format tile, its just gonna squash the addy, use a 20 mm trowel, and ya gonna have a bed for the tiles, not just squashed up addy, also you get more coverage

JCT is right, plus using a bigger notch gives you more play with the tile especially on larger tiles.

Sometimes you can use bigger notched trowles to get over poor floors/walls.

Thanks for the info guys, tiling is pretty new to me, I'm a painter really but where I work now I end up doing all sorts of things, pulled a trowel out my paint pot the other day and laid some bricks lol I like it though its like free practice

lol no worries fella. We all started by giving it a go in Tiling. My preference is 5mm square notched trowel for the walls and 10mm round for the floor. I'll sometimes use 8mm on the walls for larger format tiles if the wall is a bit out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back