Floor tile removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm in the process of fitting a new bathroom and have to remove the floor tiles. Is there a specific method/tool to get em up as i have used tho flexi tile on wood adhesive when i originally put them down which has set like granite and they are proving to be a pain in the arse to get up, breaking into tiny shards with most of the adhesive remaining on the wooden floor!
I'm using a hammer and bolster to do this, is it just a case of some elbow grease or is there an alternative?

Thanks for reading

cheers nat

Sponsored Links
Its a good recommendation for the adhesive then.
I think you will just have to scrape & break as you are doing.

What is under the ceramic tiles - an underlayment of ply or OSB etc. or are they fixed onto the floorboards?

What will the new flooring be?

Are your fixtures WC etc still in place? Splinters of tile will scar porcelain or plastic.

What is under the ceramic tiles - an underlayment of ply or OSB etc. or are they fixed onto the floorboards?

What will the new flooring be?

Are your fixtures WC etc still in place? Splinters of tile will scar porcelain or plastic.
Hi

They are laid on an underlayment of ply, the new flooring will be more ceramic tiles and all the fixtures are being replaced.

Thanks for replying

Nat

Sponsored Links
Lift the underlayment and any remaining tile thats stuck to the u/layment.

Lay a new underlayment.

Perhaps research the subject on here?

Hi ree,

The ply was glued n screwed before the tiles were fitted so might prove to be a bit of a nightmare.

I have researched quite a few of the threads on here but nothing was relevant. Basically I was wondering (hoping really!!) if there was some kind of 'product/chemical' that tilers use to break down the adhesive prior to lifting them?
Also is there a suitable leveling compound to use under a tiled bathroom floor that is to be laid on a ply underlay?

Would the hardiebacker boards be a better option for me ?

Or something like thishttp://www.wickes.co.uk/Bostik-Cempolatex-Floor-Levelling-Compound-25kg /p/224669#tab-datasheets

cheers nat

Last edited:
The only magic product is elbow grease. Use a hammer and brick chisel. When all tile is removed use a grinding disc (in an angle grinder) to take off any shards or proud remnants.

Any of the SLC's like the one you posted will probably do - but check with Mfr's that its good for a bathroom, and for what depth. Or go into a professional tile suppliers and ask at the trade counter for advice.

Be aware of raising your finished floor level for knock-on effect for fixtures and doors.

You can certainly use backer boards but it will raise the FFL and add expense.

If the ply is glued and screwed and your not looking at taking that up you may as well just clean it up and use that, as long as its sound and is the right thickness etc, it will be fine. I mostly use 15mm ply under tiles.

Thanks nortonj , ree

I'm gonna leave the ply in situ as I'm sure I would't lift it without a real fight!

I see what you mean about the final floor level as at the moment there is a step from the bathroom to the hall, about 12mm, so with a backing board that would then be over 20mm....mmm:unsure:

I knew deep down there was no magic potion:( and I gonna have to just rely on good owd fashioned elbow grease..

Thanks for taking the time to reply

cheers Nat(y)

Just a quick update.. the floor tiles and ply have now been removed. I finally settled on using a thin stone cutting disc in a grinder to get through the grout, adhesive and ply and then hammer, bolster and elbow grease to get the tiles up. Some came up with most of the ply and in one piece, some just shattered into millions of razor sharp shards with the ply remaining stuck to the flooring but i got there in the end! I also used a small 76mm 'slitting' disc in my pistol drill to get to the more awkward spaces, worked a treat.
Can anyone recommend a sealer to use on the chipboard floor before i fit hardiebacker boards prior to tiling?
Also should i use the backer boards on the walls around the bath/shower prior to tiling? If so, is there a favoured method of fixing them to a dry lined/ dot'n dab wall?
I was thinking of using mapei mapegum to tank the walls around the bath, can I/ should I then fit hardiebacker boards to the walls?

Thanks for looking

Nat:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back