Removal Of Floor Tile Adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of removing some old floor tiles however the old tile adhesive is proving difficult to shift.

The adhesive has been layed direct onto concrete (see some of the bare concrete patches showing) and I'm keen to remove all of it with a view to screeding the floor. Likely I will either lino or tile the area.

Anyone suggest any technique (fairly limited elbow room) or brand of chemical which might do the trick.

The adhesive does come off in little sticky balls but the amount of effort to remove this by hand is immense.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
I assume these are vinyl tiles? You must remove as much of the bitumastic adhesive as possible & the floor will need preparation if your going to lay ceramic/porcelain/stone tiles; blow lamps don’t help & DO NOT use any form of chemical on the floor or you will cause even more problems whatever sort of tiling you propose. Probably your best bet is to lay a SLC before refinishing the floor but check prep needed & use a suitable SLC.

If you deicide to hard tile, come back for more info on prep.

Yes they are vinyl tiles I'm currently removing. I read that steam (wall paper stripper) might be useful in order to remove the bitumastic adhesive so this is what I will try. Thank you for your advice, I shall now avoid using any form of chemical to remove the remainder of the glue.

Regarding the SLC, I will return once we make a decision on what we intend to lay in its place.

Thank you again, your comments were very helpful.

Sometimes it’s best to use nothing & rely on scrapers chisels etc which ofeten fetch is off as hard lumps. Problem with heat guns, blowlamps & steamers is they soften bitumastic which can make it even harder to get off & reactivates the stuff generating toxic fumes.

Sponsored Links
Latex slc over it...
Or
Or you can put a slurry coat over it...opc/sbr.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back