floor tiles in garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A mates dad has asked me to tile his garage floor. I've advised him i'll need to look into this as i'm not sure floor tiles can support such weight.

Can any of our experts please advise if this can be done and if their are any particular type of tile which may be suitable? The floors a concrete floor, about 2 years old, not treated.

Or should i avoid tiling a garage which will be home to an average sized car overnight, every night?

Sponsored Links
no problem at all with the weight. The main concern is if the substrate is up to it. If the concrete floor is sound, then as long as the tiles are laid properly with an adequate bed you could park a truck on them.

Avoid the cheap crap, go for a quality ceramic or porcelain.

I know a few people with tiled garages, and there no issue with the weight in terms of cars/kit. Trolley jacks, droping stuff on them, and the like can cause issues with cracking/chipping due to point loading, but assuming there laid on something solid and theres no voids in the adheasive this appears to be mainly only cosmetic damage.

Daniel

If point damage is a genuine concern (i.e. this is a working garage with jacks etc) use a full bodied porcelain on a solid bed

Sponsored Links
jc - we've supplied for a couple of big dealerships, including one that sells and services tractors. As long as the fitting is good with no lipping, and the tiles are up to spec it is possible.

Though i suspect this is a domestic garage we are talking about here.

A mates dad has asked me to tile his garage floor. I've advised him i'll need to look into this as i'm not sure floor tiles can support such weight.

Can any of our experts please advise if this can be done and if their are any particular type of tile which may be suitable? The floors a concrete floor, about 2 years old, not treated.

Or should i avoid tiling a garage which will be home to an average sized car overnight, every night?

Just make sure there is a dpm installed under the conctete floor/up the wall also..
Prep floor....prime/seal it up the floor then across the floor(100% coverage)..
Tile away..

Thank you all for the replies. Its much appreciated. I've let the chap know what tiles to go for, now its down to him if he really wants to spend that kind of money on materials to tile 54 sq meters :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back