Floor tiles ontop of exsisting tiles or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im going to have new floor tiles laid, my thoughts are to have them put on top of what is there, (I am replacing them as we don't like the colour (cream) & they are slippery when wet).
The area is about 20 meters.
I have wet under floor heating, the heating manufacturer has said it is ok to lay on more tiles on top.
If I have the tiles laid on top I will need the plinths trimmed, doors reduced & skirting board put removed & put back.
Will having this done be better (cheaper) than having the old tiles lifted first.
Just looking for guidance, I am waiting for a tiller to come & quote for the job

Sponsored Links
If the existing tiles are solid, then yes it will be fine. Many frown on tiling over tiles but its far less of an issue on the floor. If you can live with the step, then you needn't worry.

Make sure a good quality, flexible adhesive is used - especially as you have UFH. make sure the UFH is off for a few days before the work, and at least 48hrs after. slowly ramp it back up to heat over a few days.

sorry, should have said. it would usually be cheaper, but be careful how much work is introduced by replacing the skirting. it can do a lot of damage and cost ££

I thought it would be cheaper, the only concern I have is that the tiles will have to be cut to go around the cabinet end panels, not to bothered about the skirting its mdf & only round 3 sides I need a carpenter to remove wood from the doors as we have a village chippy who I have used before I have no concerns.
Thanks for feedback.
Any ideas on what I should be paying for the tiling?

Sponsored Links
cutting around the end panels isnt an issue.

price is more difficult. depends what your laying and what the jobs like. over here in the midlands a typical prices is 25m2 as a very rough guide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back