Floor tiling through existing house into extension.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to tile from a new kitchen extension back into the existing house and into a living room and a utility room.

I have seen in other houses when this is done a crack in all tiles right where the new and existing meet. I presume this is down to them settling differently and cracking the tiles.

Is there anything I can do to stop this happening?

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't have thought there should be any movement in the floor, I've done a few of these and never had any issues, screed not dried out possibly?

Good advice above.
Under "movement joints" one more thing would be using transitions or thresholds of some kind at doorways rather than free flowing tile from room to room.
Matting is great for different "substrates" (& crack work) but its very expensive esp. the most well known brand.

Sponsored Links
If both the floors are solid and not really subject to movement you could consider using a much cheaper anti-fracture membrane rather than a full scale de-coupling membrane also some of them are so thin that you could get away with just using them over the problem area, maybe also consider an adhesive with a bit of flex if you are overly concerned

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back