Floorboard Runs Under Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of taking up a run of boards to gain access to lay cable for the electrician.

One board that I need to get up spans 2 rooms annoyingly. There is a central heating pipe on the other side of the wall which also runs up through this board. This is second floor and looks like this:

OuODUxC.jpg

ex6NF5P.jpg

Is my only option to cut the board out? How would I go about installing a new board in its place?

Sponsored Links
Is my only option to cut the board out?
Yep.
I once got some out by yanking them back and forth over and over again until the inaccessible nails snapped, but I doubt you can do that in this instance.

How would I go about installing a new board in its place?
Wouldn't you just replace it with two boards, one in each room, like normal?

Is my only option to cut the board out?
Yep.
I once got some out by yanking them back and forth over and over again until the inaccessible nails snapped, but I doubt you can do that in this instance.

How would I go about installing a new board in its place?
Wouldn't you just replace it with two boards, one in each room, like normal?

With nothing under the wall to support the board?

Is this a stud wall? Isn't there a joist in the usual place (standard spacing)? Can't you slide two new boards into place from each side of the wall until they're each resting on this joist?

Sponsored Links
Is this a stud wall? Isn't there a joist in the usual place (standard spacing)? Can't you slide two new boards into place from each side of the wall until they're each resting on this joist?

Yer there is a joist on the opposite side as expected. The current board has been cut to fit a pipe though, How would I slide a board in with a pipe in the way? Do I need to taper the board to allow the pipe room in to it?

This is a mockup of what the current board looks like:

Jp1vbiQ.png

I can't see how to manoeuvre a board round the pipe as it stands

If the joists are within a few inches of the wall then I would just let the boards overhang the joists. You're not going to get much weight on one board near the wall.
Jp1vbiQ.JPG

Alternatively, if you remove the adjacent boards you could slide the existing board out sideways, and put it back the same way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back