Floorboarding new to old over plumbing and wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plumber and electrician have cut through joists and left our floorboards in a right 2 and 8. A joiner is in right now to sort the floorboards out. A builder who was in quoting today (this is a renovation project) said he would glue flat metal plates over the pipework/wires and then put floorboards on top to level up with existing. I asked the joiner about this and he said he is going to use a screw over 5" wide timber so that it doesn't move because using metal plates will mean it won't be flat. I am confused. Are both these methods correct? Btw, the floorboards are narrow - not more than 3" - from 1938 and either maple or pine. We were told they cannot be replaced like for like because their width means anyone treading on them over this new pipework will turn the floorboards in to the middle and they would collapse. Hope this makes sense. Very curious to know why 2 people come up with such different solutions...... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If the joists have been notched to accept cables and pipes, its a pretty sound (but infrequently done) move to fix plates over the notch....this is to hopefully prevent any future nails or screws from penetrating whats beneath.
The plates should be recessed into the timber though, so the tops of the joists remain level.
John :)

A few pic would help, plumbing should be thru the centre of boards and wiring thru holes in joists, should be little need for bridging if done correctly.

Sponsored Links
I have worked on job's where plumbers are not allowed to to touch woodwork for good reasons well known in the trade,electricians are not much of a problem as Fox has said they go through the joist centres if they start lying cables in old notched out pipe runs, it can cause problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back