floorboards on floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it acceptable to lay new floorboards on top of old floorboards rather than put a laminate floor down. Don\\\'t want to rip out old floorboards.

Sponsored Links
No problem with that.
Use proper insulation (like 3mm Foam underlayment). If you have to lay the new boards in the same direction as the old boards are you first have to place hardboard (3mm) over the existing floor to prevent movement.

Why not clean up and repair the old floorboards? Today's timber is rubbish compared to the old stuff.

Beg to differ (but you knew that). Old floorboards = draft, new boards = T&G = no draft.
Old floorboards = 9 times out of 10 pine = softwood
New floorboards = lots of choice in hardwood and finishes

Sponsored Links
Old floorboards = Red Deal. Lovely wood.

New floorboards = White Deal - awful wood.

Exotic floorboards = Oak illegally logged in Bosnia, or hardwood illegally logged in Indonesia. It's environmental rape.

WoodYouLike said:
Your (strange) opinion, we and our suppliers know better.

You simply don't want to know the truth.

The official documents are fake. It's called corruption. (Is there a country more corrupt than Indonesia?)

You think what you want to think (or believe what you want to believe), but I'm not going Panto again.
Not very constructive anyway for oddjobman

If you are going to fix with nails/screws the boarding down make sure they are not to long that they will go through the old boards.Wouldn't like you to hit any cables /pipes.
Igot to say though for the sake of a bit of extra work ,I cannot see why you can not take the boards up .I suppose it depends on what room in the house it is ,weither or not you have doors to cut down fitted furniture to cut the floor around etc

WoodYouLike said:
You think what you want to think (or believe what you want to believe), but I'm not going Panto again.
Not very constructive anyway for oddjobman

Answer me a couple of questions (she won't).

1) How long must an oak tree grow from planting until you can cut it and use it for housing? And where is the managed forest your suppliers use?

2) What happens to all the wood from the rain forests that are illegally felled in Indonesia? How long does Iroko take from planting to harvest? And where is the managed plantation your suppliers use?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back