Floorboards on the loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Normal chipboard loftboards tongue and groove seem to be as heavy as thin normal wooden floorboards. Would it be appropiate to cover the loft with these rather than chipboards from a weight prespective?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you've got a load of floorboards in good nick kicking around spare then sell them & buy the chipboard and a lot of beer with what's left. Chipboard isn't particularly cheap these days but it is quick and easy to do a decent job with. Floorboards in the loft will work fine but need a bit more attention to detail (like supporting end joins) and per square metre are at least twice the price. Weight wise I wouldn't worry- unless you're planning on putting a machine shop up there whatever you fix down will stiffen the structure up (by reducing the freedom of the joists to twist).

Well yep I meant second hand floorboards of course. My idea is to do a loft conversion in a few years time so the floorboards could be used again.
I rather spend a bit extra but was worry about the weight/area ratio.
Thanks

Really wouldn't worry about it- if you do do a proper loft conversion you'll almost certainly have to lift the floorboards to uprate the joists (unless you've already got 10 x 3 or something unlikely in there). If this is a temporary fix then I'd suggest you throw the cheap loft boards at the job now (to get it done) and keep an eye out over the next few years for cheap T & G for your loft conversion. Dunno if you've priced 2nd hand floorboards recently, they're not cheap either. But in the scheme of things 40 sq m of flooring isn't going to break the bank- £280 for 20mm chipboard or £560 plus double the labour for T & G

Sponsored Links
The idea to put floorboards is because even though they are dearer once I decide to make the loft conversion I will be able to re-sell these floorboards and wont loose too much money. Whereas nobody buys second hand floor chipboard. so its after market value is almost 0.

Valid point as long as you don't factor in the time invested in getting the boards up into the loft, putting the boards down then lifting them and getting them out of the loft. Which if you are doing it yourself you don't have to. Bear in mind, if you spike the boards down you'll damage at least some when lifting them- if you screw them down you'll reduce the resale value, if you lay them loose you'll have to be careful when moving stuff/yourself up there.

Second hand chipboard- i'd have said its resale value was negative, you can't even stick it in the woodburner :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back