Floorboard Squeeks!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is 10 years old and the upstair floorboards are the tongue and groove chipboard type which is all nailed down. One or two boards appear to be slightly bowed and the constant squeaking as somebody walks about upstairs is driving me mad. Any suggestions for a quiet life?

A few screws in the boards may suffice, but as there is slight bowing, do they need replacing? The boards are about 18"x48"x1" in size and the removal of a single board is going to be problematic as they are all locked together by the tounge/groove arrangements.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Doug

Sponsored Links
A few screws in the right places would do the trick as I don't think it would justify the disruption in removing a board just to correct a slight bow. I would advise that you check over the area with a Cable/Pipe Detector first so you avoid any unwanted emergencies when fixing the screws.

you can rub talc in the grooves and gaps it acts like a lubricant

when you say the area is bowed do you mean springy
is the raised area stained in other words suffering from being exposed to wet and swollen :cry: :cry:

The boards appear to be springy when squeaking. Talc is interesting...................watch this space.

Sponsored Links
I sprinkled the boards with talc today.....................then got smacked by the missus as apparantly is was her posh stuff!!!!!!!11

Get a replacement from The Pound shop :LOL: sounds like big-all in trouble

what a replacement wife for £1, are they any good for that price?

masona said:
Get a replacement from The Pound shop :LOL: sounds like big-all in trouble

i think if you done that i would be in "even more trouble" :oops: :oops: :oops: :D :D ;)

you would have to go to the £5 or more shop if there is such a thing to prevent a second good kicking :cry: :cry: :cry: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back