Advice On Lifting Floorboards Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after a few tips on lifting some floorboards so I can do some work on the ch pipes underneath. The house was built in 1960, and the floorboards in question haven't been up since it was built. They are usual old school boards, not tongue and groove.

The main problem would be getting the end of a board started. Any tips would be great. From the side of the landing/staircase I reckon the joists are either 175 or 200mm.

I'm wondering if it is ok to use a punch to knock the nails down through the boards on upstairs boards, or are the nails likely to come through the ceiling below?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I'm wondering if it is ok to use a punch to knock the nails down through the boards on upstairs boards, or are the nails likely to come through the ceiling below?

Thanks for any advice.

They wont, but you will probably end up with every nail in the plasterboard ceiling dropping a bit, and then needing to replace them with screws and re-decorate and fill the ceiling.

Although lifting the boards upstairs you have a reasonable chance of this anyway!

If the old boards upstairs aren't on display, I'd circular saw down a join then get a breaker bar in between them, and force it up.

If no tongues it's easier, i just use a couple of different size flat bar with a hooked end, very cheap to get from wickes or screw fix. Then tap it in with a hammer and wiggle. It's an art form to avoid breaking them but you'll work it out in time!

Sponsored Links
I know the theory about punching nails in but frankly it seldom works and will damage the ceiling below.
Superbar or this copy of one is the bees knees!

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+Tools/d10/Bolsters+&+Wrecking+Bars/sd3192

That and a long bolster used like you are removing a tyre with levers, lift wedge and lift again. Plunge cutting over a joist with a multitool is the modern way to cut, old school we used to work along a board starting near the middle levering each side till the board could be sprung just above the others then wood saw across, whatever you try it will end up with brute force! As long as the boards are to be covered don't re-fix with nails use 1½ or 1¾ countersunk screws, drill a clearance hole through the board and then screw into the joist. This will save further damage to the ceiling and make future lifting a doddle!(y)

Thanks a lot for your replies. Will definitely get one of those bars and try some of the methods described.

Chatting to a friend, he reckons he uses a 5mm HSS drill to drill down into the nails at the end of board to destroy the nails. Then puts a screw in each side of board half way in, then claw hammer under the screw and levers the screw and board up by levering the claw on the board next to the one you're lifting. Suppose there's lots of ways of doing it.

Circular saw set to the same thickness of the board, don't go cutting through pipes or cables that are sometimes laid on top of joists.

Don't hit the nails with the saw it could kick back at you.

Always use screws to put them back down and if you need to lift the board out again, take the screws halfway out and use them as handles, saves using a bar/lever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back