Floorboards wood protection

Sponsored Links
How can those boards be use for flooring when they are tongue and grooved? They will cup, shrink and end up uneven and with gaps all around.

They are not floorboards

If they really were 6" x 1" PAR you'd be fine.
22 x 150 finished would be OK
18 x 144 finished they're having a laugh, as woody said they'll not last long.

Sponsored Links
Oh crap, I did not notice that! Does anyone know where I can buy appropriate floorboards?

The current floorboards in my old house are 18mm x 154mm

Any real timber merchant. General builders merchants will have stock sizes, a timber yard will be able to thickness/rip boards to your exact specs. Are your existing boards tongue and groove- 18mm PAR would be be very flimsy

Just to confirm, we are talking about the floorboards which go over joists? I need to replace a missing/damaged section.
IMG_2028.jpg

That's the second recent post concerning floorboards that weren't T&G......curiously, I've never come across that before. Plenty with the tongues planed off though.
For small areas like that, my cramp suggestion isn't relevant.
John :)

Half the boards in my current project are square edge ish- they've been finished on 3 faces (top and sides), the underside is as it came from the (probably horse or steam-driven) sawmill. Nightmare trying to reuse them cos the original chippie has used an adze or something to groove out where the joists were- had to make a long jig for the router cos underside not flat so couldn't do the usual

OP Have a look at the end of your existing floorboards and see how tight the grain is (it'll be very fine slow-grown timber). Trot along to Builderdepot & have a look at the end of their boards- if the grain is similar them you're in with a shout, wider grain will not be as stiff

You've got nice tight-centred joists so the 18 won't be as baggy as it would be on a modern floor. If your existing stuff is 18 then your options are limited- either try that stuff from BuilderDepot or get some thicker (22mm finished) from a proper merchant and reduce them where they sit on the joists (you'd need a router for that unless you're very good with a saw and chisels)

Treatment- I'd be tempted either to Ronseal them or (if you're covering them with something) dose them with some general timber preservative

Just to confirm, we are talking about the floorboards which go over joists? I need to replace a missing/damaged section.View attachment 192300
Ok, if it's just a repair then use that board. You don't need any treatment.

But bear in mind that the timber used nowadays is fast grown and soft compared to what was used 100 years ago. So whilst it may shrink or try and cup, it won't be too bad I'd just one or two boards.

But bear in mind that the timber used nowadays is fast grown and soft compared to what was used 100 years ago. So whilst it may shrink or try and cup.....
..... and here is the picture from the OP's BuilderDepot.co.uk website link -- looks to me as though it may have already started to cup. Was that the best piece they could find for the photo?
Floorboards.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back