Floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have to lay some new floorboards Wickes do packs of 5 for £21.99 1.8m each. Is this a decent price? I think I will need about 10 packs.

Feedback mentions they are a bit knotty. If I go for these floorboards, do the knots have to be treated? Floorboards will have underlay and capet put on top. ie, not painting floorboards.

Many thanks
George

Sponsored Links
far far to short you need to have room sized planks or join them on a joists with joints staggered
are they tongue and groove ??
i assume they are around 21mm x 140-145
txg i pay £2.75per m at 21x140 coverage
6x1[21x146 coverage]£3.25 a metre
from the wood yard without defects[few knots]

Thank you. I was considering the 1.8 as thinking of transporting in the car. The other length was 2.4m.

Yes, wickes are t and g, but the ones in the house are just plain edged floor boards. Should I avoid t and g?

Is your price per sqm? or just per metre in length?

Sponsored Links
the amount you're buying, see what a woodyard would charge including delivery.

T&G is better for blocking draughts, but that is less important upstairs. Anyway, while you have the floor up, you can put mineral wool between the joists, which will block draughts and provide insulation.

If it is ground floor, clean out airbricks and insulate pipes while you have it up. You could even incorporate trapdoor access, preferably in a corner away from the door.

I put in a floorsafe. I had a neighbour who added a cool winestore under a hatch. I know someone who used to hide money.

Leave the floorboards in the house for a few weeks to acclimatise - the moisture content needs to reduce otherwise the boards will shrink horribly after you've laid them, and you'll get gaps. When you lay them, cramp them up viciously with a floorboard cramp or bow-wrench, for the same reason. Or use sliding wedges.

Cheers
Richard

the amount you're buying, see what a woodyard would charge including delivery.

T&G is better for blocking draughts, but that is less important upstairs. Anyway, while you have the floor up, you can put mineral wool between the joists, which will block draughts and provide insulation.

If it is ground floor, clean out airbricks and insulate pipes while you have it up. You could even incorporate trapdoor access, preferably in a corner away from the door.

I put in a floorsafe. I had a neighbour who added a cool winestore under a hatch. I know someone who used to hide money.

The house is incredibly warm and no drafts. The floorboards that are down already are not tongue and groove - I will need to match up with these as I don't want to replace the whole flooring. I like the sound of the trapdoor access and the safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back