Flooring advice for a complete amateur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never done anything with flooring before.

We have old tile-like things under our carpet and I want to lay some sort of flooring on top of this.

It is a downstairs floor, does this mean I don't need a damp proof membrane applied first?

My plan was to just buy some self-levelling compound, like this: http://www.pureadhesion.co.uk/mapei-ultraplan-renovation-screed-25kg.html

Then, I can just buy some stuff and start to lay it... it all sounds very straight forward.. so i must be wrong! All advice appreciated. :)

5P8dYZQ.jpg

Sponsored Links
First of all decide on what flooring you want?
If you are floating wood / laminate over the top the tiles can stay down.
If you are gluing flooring to the base then you will need to take them tiles up before you prime and screed the floor

First of all decide on what flooring you want?
If you are floating wood / laminate over the top the tiles can stay down.
If you are gluing flooring to the base then you will need to take them tiles up before you prime and screed the floor

Sorry for late reply.

I'm going to put down laminate and hope to float it...

The floor is level but some of the tiles have broken up when removing the grippers. What can I repair these with or will it be ok as is?

Thanks

byaIaOs.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back