Flooring advice for a noob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, DIY noob here!

Second floor flat in a converted house, currently has stripped open floor boards.

Right now there is no insulation between the joists, just empty space. I was going to add rockwool, but before I do wanted to check, should there be space between the rockwool and the floorboards, to allow for airflow? It's a rather mold cursed flat on the outside walls.

Secondly, there are gaps between the floorboards and its drafty, when there is a strong wind outside you can feel it inside. So I was thinking of laying chipboard before putting the flooring back, will this mean there is no airflow thus cause damp issues under yhe flooring?

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Fix battens to joists to lay insulation on, leaving gap beneath for ventilation (the draught suggests you may have external air bricks, these should not be blocked off). You may need to bead the skirting too.

The process will inevitably split crack or otherwise damage the boards, thermal underlay and laminate flooring is an alternative.

Blup

general comments insulation for sound wont do a lot
insulation for heat purposes will reduce the free heat from below and help keep that room toasty
also often now you are not allowed exposed boards or laminate flooring [carpet or soft coverings]to avoid noise below

@blurp
insulation for heat purposes will reduce the free heat from below and help keep that room toasty
also often now you are not allowed exposed boards or laminate flooring [carpet or soft coverings]to avoid noise below

Thanks for the advice. What about the gaps between the floor boards, to stop the wind coming through them. How would you fill them?

Sponsored Links
You can buy wooden slivers/shims off ebay, but for smaller gaps a mix of sawdust and glue is the traditional way.

Blup

The OP did say "Rockwool" (aka mineral wool), B-A. Fibreglass I'd agree with you - not the best soundproofing unless absolutely rammed in, and even then, but tightly fitted Rockwool slab (6in - or better still Safe'n'Sound) inside stud walling is exactly how I sound proofed our bedrooms and attic room on both sides of the house. OK, so I also double boarded the walls and mechanically insulated the frames from the building, but at least I can't hear the noisey b'stards these days

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the gaps between the floor boards, to stop the wind coming through them. How would you fill them?

if you pack between the joists with mineral wool, it will block the draughts. Pay extra attention to the edges of the room, where the wind blows in through airbricks, gappy brickwork, and joist ends, and comes up under the skirting. you can put plasterboard caps over holes, e.g. light fittings, cables and pipes.

This is a room over an unheated garage, so there was a ceiling below to lay the wool on. In my case there was no need for the dense sound batts but I am working round the other floors as I rip out the horrible cracked and squeaky chipboard. Also fill any gaps you find, preferably with pink firefoam or fire caulk.

Cables can be on top of the insulation, or underneath, so heat can escape, but must not be surrounded.

20180108_172001.jpg

I was thinking of laying chipboard

vom vom :sick: :sick:

horrible stuff

Last edited:
The OP did say "Rockwool" (aka mineral wool), B-A. Fibreglass I'd agree with you - not the best soundproofing unless absolutely rammed in, and even then, but tightly fitted Rockwool slab (6in - or better still Safe'n'Sound) inside stud walling is exactly how I sound proofed our bedrooms and attic room on both sides of the house. OK, so I also double boarded the walls and mechanically insulated the frames from the building, but at least I can't hear the noisey b'stards these days
i helped my freind build a office garden with 75mm rockwool hoping to minimize noise transmission he was very disappointed when i was in next doors garden talking normally [i do have a distinctive voice]walked within 6 ft off the back and he could hear me clearly so was going on that ???
i assume a sounding board effect as the stud walls where plasterboard on 4x2 at 400centres 75mm rockwool'breathable [tyvek]11 osb'6mm spacers 19x38[tile] baton then 6" shiplap
now maybe his expectations were too high and a perhaps 60% reduction in some frequencies was not enough for him??

Last edited:
i helped my freind build a office garden with 75mm rockwool hoping to minimize noise transmission he was very disappointed when i was in next doors garden talking normally [i do have a distinctive voice]walked within 6 ft off the back and he could hear me clearly so was going on that ???
i assume a sounding board effect as the stud walls where plasterboard on 4x2 at 400centres 75mm rockwool'breathable [tyvek]11 osb'6mm spacers 19x38[tile] baton then 6" shiplap
now maybe his expectations were too high and a perhaps 60% reduction in some frequencies was not enough for him??

Hi big-all was that regular or acoustic rockwool out of interest please?

Sponsored Links
Back