Flooring - Before or After Kitchen Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am currently building an extension for a new kitchen which is being supplied by Wren.

I have the chipboard flooring down and the question is, should put down my laminate before or after the kitchen is installed?

My brain is saying install the kitchen and then do the flooring but want to know what everyone else does here

Thanks

L

Sponsored Links
both options work well.

if you do it after, you need to put some laminate or equal thickness plywood in the appliance spaces or they will get trapped in and be difficult to get up over the flooring lip

If you do it before you need more laminate, a fair bit that wont get seen. And its more difficult to change the floor.

finish the laminate just in front of the feet.

I suppose there is more risk of bounce doing it after, but Ive no experience with laminate in a kitchen

After. You shouldn’t put a kitchen on top of laminate ever.

leave end panels and plinths off till after the floor is Down. Use a laminate like quickstep impressive if possible.

I had the same question when fitting my kitchen for a tiled floor. Some said before some said after. In the end I went with after, you do not need to waste extra flooring that can’t be seen, just more cost for no reason.

Sponsored Links
Laminate needs 5-10mm expansion everywhere. Even a Heavy American fridge ontop of it can restrict it expanding.

We're having tiles in the utility and I'm going before PURELY because we have freestanding appliances and I want to make sure everything is spot on in terms of height and finish. It's a bit of pain logistically, as I could have had the units in already but it is what it is.

In the main house kitchen, we have engineered wood and no appliances so the kitchen went in first and we didn't have any issues whatsoever. In fact, the floor didn't go in for about 6 months.

Hi

I am currently building an extension for a new kitchen which is being supplied by Wren.

I have the chipboard flooring down and the question is, should put down my laminate before or after the kitchen is installed?

My brain is saying install the kitchen and then do the flooring but want to know what everyone else does here

Thanks

L
One leak or heavy spill will ruin laminate in a kitchen .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back