1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Flooring - Before or After Kitchen Install

Discussion in 'Floors, Stairs and Lofts' started by leevis, 14 Sep 2020.

1. leevis

leevis

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

I am currently building an extension for a new kitchen which is being supplied by Wren.

I have the chipboard flooring down and the question is, should put down my laminate before or after the kitchen is installed?

My brain is saying install the kitchen and then do the flooring but want to know what everyone else does here

Thanks

L

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    both options work well.

if you do it after, you need to put some laminate or equal thickness plywood in the appliance spaces or they will get trapped in and be difficult to get up over the flooring lip

If you do it before you need more laminate, a fair bit that wont get seen. And its more difficult to change the floor.

finish the laminate just in front of the feet.

I suppose there is more risk of bounce doing it after, but Ive no experience with laminate in a kitchen

4. dazlight

dazlight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    After. You shouldn’t put a kitchen on top of laminate ever.

leave end panels and plinths off till after the floor is Down. Use a laminate like quickstep impressive if possible.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Iamchamps

Iamchamps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I had the same question when fitting my kitchen for a tiled floor. Some said before some said after. In the end I went with after, you do not need to waste extra flooring that can’t be seen, just more cost for no reason.

6. dazlight

dazlight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Laminate needs 5-10mm expansion everywhere. Even a Heavy American fridge ontop of it can restrict it expanding.

• Like Like x 1
  7. VDubDan

VDubDan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We're having tiles in the utility and I'm going before PURELY because we have freestanding appliances and I want to make sure everything is spot on in terms of height and finish. It's a bit of pain logistically, as I could have had the units in already but it is what it is.

In the main house kitchen, we have engineered wood and no appliances so the kitchen went in first and we didn't have any issues whatsoever. In fact, the floor didn't go in for about 6 months.

8. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    One leak or heavy spill will ruin laminate in a kitchen .

9. Sponsored Links