flooring help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening. Sorry for the long post.

I have just taken up the carpets in my sisters house and there are good condition pine tongue and groove boards in hall way, dining and living rooms . Now money is very tight for her at the moment so I am helping as much as I can.

The boards are in good and what seems like original condition. There are just alot of paint splashes all over. I hand sanded one with fine sand paper and although it took ages the finish was very good.

Now the question!! Which sander would help the most in this situation. I think a hired drum sander is overkill and perhaps a random orbital or palm sander would surfice. Any advice. Many thanks. Si

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply and taking the time for the very useful links roofer. I now know what the machines look like!!

I take it that by its name the finishing sander is less vicious than the drum, but will it still remove the paint splats?

Thanks again Si

The edging sander is controllable and will easily get rid of the paint, the finishing sander gets rid of any 'swirls' in the sanding

Sponsored Links
Only way to go if you are doing as little as even one decent sized room, is with a proper continuous belt sander

They are super heavy so that you get a flat finish all over, they level the floor for you

You'll ruin your back, it will take FOREVER and burn out a few power tools using anything else and you'll get a miles worse finish

Hire the belt sander and the edging sander - and I use a hand held orbital too round the edges because the edger leaves swirls

Don't take the tight option, in terms of your physical well being and your time it's a massive false economy

thanks roofer.

So I take it use edger first then finisher?

That hire shop does look good value as long as I can get it all done in 1 day!!!!

Have heard that the floor should be resanded after first coat of varnish as it lifts the grain. Is this correct ? I assume that this is up to your taste as it could add texture to the floor .

Thanks for you help Si

Blimey where have all these people from essex come from!!

Cheers trotter sound advice. Having spoken to a friend who tried to do it without the correct tools , I think the big drum sander and the edger are the way to go.

Got to set aside a weekend for the sanding then get stuck in!

Cheers for all the advice

Si

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back