Flooring problem, help required please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am relaying a floor in a utility room. When I removed the old floor covering, I found the floor to be a mix of wood (boards) and screed, where an old pantry has been taken out. I now wish to lay hardboard to make the floor smooth and even before the new vinyl goes down. What adhesive would you recommend me to use for hardboard to screed?

Also, can anybody advise on the correct way up for hardboard under vinyl. Is it rough side up or down?

Sponsored Links
Give the screed a coat of PVA first and then you could use Gripfill from a mastic gun or a contact adhesive applied to both surfaces and left to go tacky before sticking down but make sure the PVA has completely dried first. With regards to rough side up or down, I always put the rough side up because when you nail it to floorboards the nails will sink among the textured surface better than on the smooth surface. Hope that last bit made sense to you.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I'll give it a go over the coming weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back