flooring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd also be really grateful if someone could post a reply to this question. If the existing 18mm chipboard was screwed to the joists every 6inches or so and there were no "creaks" when walking on it plus its barely 2Msquared what would happen if tiled directly on it? Would it be ok for say 3 or 4 years?
====================================
Please do not reply to old posts, (forum rule 17) the post you replied to was made in 2004

i have since split the post

Sponsored Links
as long as you guys use the proper flexable adhesive, there should be no problem! man made boards like chip and mdf dont expand and shrink as much as real wood. Ive used the flexable adhesive loads of times so heres more advice.........clean up as you go along ! when set its a b*itch to get off!........and work quick it sets quick!.....oh and wear gloves doesnt come off your hands to easy either!

It is generally accepted that T&G chipboard is not a suitable surface to tile onto. It either needs to be overlaid with ply or tilebacker or as you don't want to increase the height then the only option is to take up the chipboard and replace with a minimum of 18mm WPB plywood, this should be screwed to the joists at 200cts and noggins placed under any joints. I tend to prefer 22mm T&G plywood flooring as its easier to handle than 8x4 sheets.

You will need to use a flexible adhesive & grout, preferably powdered not tub mix.

Look at the last weeks posts in this forum the subject has had a lot of discussion. eh Moz :D

Jason

Sponsored Links
I have seen the results of cowboys or people who don't know any better,tiling straight onto chipboard, it has been a costly mistake.The worst was where a very expensive tile had been laid directly on top of chip board, around each board the tile had cracked,showing each individual board.Costly mistake for the house owner but as they say "Every day is a schoolday"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back