Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a Weyroc floor fitted over wood joists in a bedroom ... house built circa 1980

Floor is damaged in 2 places .... don’t really want to re-sheet whole floor, particularly as fitted wardrobes over part of the floor.

initially thought it would be easy ... cut a square out back flush with joist and fix a bearer timber on joist, to hold edge of new board, and screw some supports round underside of other 3 sides to form a frame to fit new piece in.

This plan stuttered today when I measured thickness of the Weyroc ...it’s 19.4mm. So presumably 3/4” sheet.

Anybody know if you can still get 3/4” sheet ....
If not hoping I can buy 20mm but that is not going to sit flush without a lot of extra work.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The chipboard flooring we see these days is generally either 18mm or 22mm. Two ways zi can think of to deal with this: use the 18mm but pack out on top of the joists with 1.5mm plastic packers (a standard thickness in some ranges) or fit the 18mm stuff then build to the required final level using a self levelling compound and s float.

Wouldn’t want to use self levelling compound on top of chipboard.
I can see 22 mm board on sale ... so I’ll have to find a way of using that ...going to be a lot more work.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You could use 18mm and cut out enough of your existing flooring so the hole spans joist to joist

Fix the bearers together as a square and affix to the joists 1.6mm higher than the joists and drop the new 18mm flooring on top

Hope that makes sense!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back