Damp Proofing and Insulating a concrete floor for Solid Floor Boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am soon to be fitting solid wood flooring and will be doing this with hidden screws in the tongues of the boards, so I will be using a ply sub-floor on the concrete. (I did this with the other room, same boards, and was happy this way)

I would like to also insulate under the boards but I only have a total of 45mm, with the boards being 20mm.

There was also some signs of damp on the previous carpet, however, I am not keen on tanking the floor as there are a few asbestos tiles left on the floor, and would prefer to leave them alone.

This is what I was planning on doing:

1) Damp Proof membrane sheet (I have a spare roll, unsure on the gauge, but it is thick)
2) Over lap this DPS up the walls slightly to be covered by the skirting
3) 12mm Celotex Insulation Boards - Pressure fitted with the joints taped
4) 9mm Plywood - Screw this ply to the concrete - Leave about 10mm expansion gap
5) Solid Wood Flooring

12mm Celotex + 12mm ply + 20mm Flooring = 44mm

Happy to hear your thoughts to this way of Damp Proofing and Insulating a concrete floor?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back