Florence - quality flooring?

Sponsored Links
Can be sanded no less than 7 times?!? With a sheet of sander paper in you hand no doubt?
A proper sanding takes off 1 - 1.5mm, meaning safely 2 times in this case.

Description of "Rustic" means they can use everything they can get their hands on. We would call this Industrial Grade.
(And that of course shows in the price)

I've seen the description "Rustic" used by lots of manufacturers or websites, didn't realise it referred to the type of wood used, thought it just referred to the look. Are you suggesting "Rustic" flooring should be avoided altogether?

Obviously I'm looking for descent flooring at the lowest price available but it sounds like you're suggesting that if the price is cheap the manufacturer/flooring is of poor quality.

Are you familiar with the manufacturer - Florence?

Any suggestions of manufacturers that make descent quality flooring?

Sponsored Links
"Rustic" refers to the grade of the wood selected. With Oak this can range from quarterly sawn only, to Prime, Nature, Rustic, Extra Rustic and Industrial (where you are lucky to find some wood around the knots and gaps. We've written a extensive explanation here

The grade does of course influence the way the whole floor looks.

What I meant in my earlier comment was that their description of "Rustic" sounds more like a mix between Extra Rustic and Industrial and that reflects in the price (and so the quality).

Rustic should not be avoided, it is the most popular choice in the UK, you just have to be aware what some suppliers call Rustic and what it really is.
Officially Rustic Oak can contain little bit of sapwood, knots no larger than 40 - 50mm and no open knots.

As for suggesting to you where you can buy honest quality, that might be considered advertising ;) - do check our profile though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back