Flourescent starters

Can you get electronic starters for series operation, such as two 18w tubes in series on one ballast?

Sponsored Links
Got x3 starters at the local Arrow Electrics for £1.08 so job done.

Will give LED replacements some thought. Actually already have x2 of these in the garage. There's a channel topside with the two terminal connector to accept a cable from above. x2 slide clips for fastening to the ceiling.

Thanks All!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Got x3 starters at the local Arrow Electrics for £1.08 so job done.

Will give LED replacements some thought. Actually already have x2 of these in the garage. There's a channel topside with the two terminal connector to accept a cable from above. x2 slide clips for fastening to the ceiling.

Thanks All!
Well think about what I wrote.

The lumens per watt for florescent and LED tubes is similar. A 5 foot LED tube is less than half the wattage of a 5 foot florescent and also less than half the output. So you will need 2 LEDs to replace one florescent. Can't see that as an advantage.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Well think about what I wrote.

The lumens per watt for florescent and LED tubes is similar. A 5 foot LED tube is less than half the wattage of a 5 foot florescent and also less than half the output. So you will need 2 LEDs to replace one florescent. Can't see that as an advantage.
LEDs have better optical control, so usually you do not need the same amount of lumens to get the same lux level

LEDs have better optical control, so usually you do not need the same amount of lumens to get the same lux level
That's true, coupled with the fact that, as I have often observed, it seems that fluorescent lighting was often over-specified.

As I've said in the past, I have replaced a good few fluorescent tubes with LED ones of the same length (i.e. about half the power) and, in every case, the amounting of lighting I ended up with was perfectly adequate (suggesting that the fluorescent was probably producing an amount of illumination which was 'more than required').

Kind Regards, John

I assume you mean they are more directional. Florescent tubes used to be available with a built in reflective strip to direct more light downwards, but I've not seen one for a while.

It really depends on whether you like dark ceilings I suppose.

The two, as the link above, I have in the garage seem adequate enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back