Flourescent starters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a look on Screwfix and they have 70w diffuser starters and 4-65w starters in x5 packs and the 70w are the cheaper.

Will 70w starters work with 58w T8 tubes?

Sponsored Links
Found a 5 pack for £3.15, they'll do.

Difference in price to drive to the local ToolStation.

Thanks for posting

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Do yourself a favour and buy an electronic one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRON...599710?hash=item23b622f55e:g:-9AAAOSw-EBZp9vj

The benefits are numerous:

Drastically increases lamp life. This is essential as a lot of modern tubes have very little mercury in them and only have a small amount of emitter on the cathodes. It's the emitter that sputters off and causes black marks on the end of the tubes. When all the emitter is gone, this is when tubes start repeatedly flashing and won't stay lit.

One strike starting: Tubes starts up first time every time, none of this repeated flashing nonsense.

Safe shut down of end of life (eol) tubes. When the tube fails it'll just go off, stops the annoying flashing and potential damage to the ballast.

Long life: electronic starters last many many years. Modern glow bottle types sadly don't always last long and can get stuck closed which damages the tube and ballast.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Consider changing your fluorescents for LEDs.....?
Instant start, much brighter light and becoming cheaper all the while. The only issue I have with them is that the cable has to enter at the ends which may be an issue over existing wiring.
John :)

Instant start, much brighter light and becoming cheaper all the while. The only issue I have with them is that the cable has to enter at the ends which may be an issue over existing wiring.

You can get LED battens with same cable entries

Is it an open fitting, electronic starters generally are not suitable for enclosed fittings, they do not like the heat
Where did you hear that, any evidence to back it up?

Electronic starters have been used in enclosed fittings for years without issue. Many Thorn (enclosed) fittings came with electronic starters in them from the factory, as did some Fitzgerald fittings and probably many others.

Last edited:
What's the future for fluorescents? Are they being manufactured in decreasing numbers now? Does anybody specify them in new installations nowadays? Do they have any advantages over LED or other types of lighting any more?

What's the future for fluorescents? Are they being manufactured in decreasing numbers now? Does anybody specify them in new installations nowadays? Do they have any advantages over LED or other types of lighting any more?
A question that probably deserves it's own new topic

The lumens per watt for florescent and LED tubes is similar. A 5 foot LED tube is less than half the wattage of a 5 foot florescent and also less than half the output. So you will need 2 LEDs to replace one florescent. Can't see that as an advantage.

Where did you hear that, any evidence to back it up?

Electronic starters have been used in enclosed fittings for years without issue. Many Thorn (enclosed) fittings came with electronic starters in them from the factory, as did some Fitzgerald fittings and probably many others.

We tend to service lots of older Dustproof fittings in Licensed premises and often next to the starter holder is a Manufacturers label stating "Not suitable for electronic starters", Thorn I recall mainly used there own make Vivatronic starter modules rather than twist fit starters, I also found Fitzgerald tended to use normal starters branded as Fitzgerald, these days I encounter more High Frequency fittings, so no evidence at the moment,

We tend to service lots of older Dustproof fittings in Licensed premises and often next to the starter holder is a Manufacturers label stating "Not suitable for electronic starters", Thorn I recall mainly used there own make Vivatronic starter modules rather than twist fit starters, I also found Fitzgerald tended to use normal starters branded as Fitzgerald, these days I encounter more High Frequency fittings, so no evidence at the moment,
I recall seeing them labels before & wasn't sure why they were unsuitable, I've always politely ignored them. Some older electronic starters had issues with certain types of switch start circuits, 8' 100w being one of them as well as some leading circuits. Modern starters will be fine with them. The Fitzgerald slim light packs often came with electronic starters within the fitting itself, placed right next to the (hot) ballast.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back