Twin Flourescents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought 2 "Twin HPF Fitting C/w Tubes - 6ft 2 x 70W " to update my old light in my garage, and to add a new light to the new shed. I have wired them up to a socket just to test if they work before I go though the hassle of putting them up and then realising they are faulty. On both of them only 1 tube lights. So I have 2 twin lights that are basically half on half off! I have tried alternating the tubes and the starters but to no avail. The non-lighting tube seems completely dead, no flickering or glowing or no sign of the starter kicking in.

They are connected at the minute using a 1.5mm twin and earth cable.

Anyone shed some light on this? :confused:

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
so hang on, you swapped the tubes and starters, but is it the SAME SIDE thats not lighting or is it the SAME TUBE thats not lighting.

Post a picture of their innards, wired up (click "upload new images" when you go to reply)

The obvious thing to do is take them back to where you bought them and get them replaced. Will be a lot easier then trying to work out why it isn't working. I've had it before where the manufacturer forgot to put one of the wires in that went to the lamp holder so you never know what could be wrong.

Sponsored Links
Indeed I was thinking that and that is what I would have done but I thought I would query it first as their is a sticker on each one for quality control stating eac fitting was tested in Feb 09 and has a signature on it :S

They obviously tested that one well! :LOL: Connections can get damaged when rattled about between the manufacturer and the wholesaler it's just unfortunate that you've now got the ball ache of taking them back.

Hmm looks like I will have to. Thing is though I bought them online, and i'm full time employed. So its an even bigger ball ache to call them and have them collect them/deliver new ones etc.

Does seem weird to me though as each light has a different test date and has been signed as a pass by two different people and each one is exactly the same set up with the second ballast not doing anything. :/

Argh.

Both units tested? Same side not working? Sounds like you may have disturbed a wire when you connected the supply, try loosening each terminal on the main chocbloc ,moving the wires and re-tightening

I was going to suggest that you may have put the wrong ends in the wrong side, but it's one piece so you can't have done that...

tried putting te 2 known good tubes into the one light?
same with the 2 known good starters..?

wiggle the connections everywhere and see if anything comes loose.. I never trust those pushfits on lights..

Well well after packing them up and reading your reply I thought screw it lets give it another go. I have sucessfully got one light to fire both tubes hooray.... going to try the other shortly. It appears one of the starters must be dead or something has a dent in it? But i'm sure I didn't switch starters between lights so not sure if I will be able to get the other working. Maybe just wiggle the wires like you did and hope for the best? :)

What do you think of the pic? didnt remember seeing that before....

that's not a dent son, that's a melt...

looks like the bi-metalic strip if stuck and the glow bit isn't cutting out?

oh and one word of advice?

MACRO..

ok so maybe more than one word.. try setting your camera / phone to macro mode for close ups of things..
( looks like a tulip on some cameras / phones. )

300px-Makro_krakow.jpg

:?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back