Swapping flourescent tube to LED tube in a portable battery light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a portable flourescent light which is a 4' standard tube powered off a 12v lead acid battery in the base.

I want to swap the tube for an LED tube, and normally this would mean just removing the starter.

But there is no starter in this, but there is a small board with some or other electronics on them.

Does anyone know if this electronic board should be left in or not, and what it does?

Sponsored Links
is it worth it?
I just wonder what a 4 foot led 12v light costs already built?
unless you have the bits for free

I've got the LED tube already. I thought it would give a much longer run time and remove the slight flicker.

The board will convert the 12V to a much higher voltage to operate the fluorescent tube, without it you will only have the 12V from the battery.

A standard LED replacement tube isn't likely to work well or at all with it, and unless you can get a 12V LED tube, the LED won't work with the 12V battery either.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back