Starters blowing in light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i was trying to replace a starter in a light fitting the bulb is one of the circular types and rated at 28watt i used a 4-65w starter and the light cam on for a split second then off again. I thought the bulb had gone but tried the second starter again the light cam on for a split second then off again any suggestions incoming supply voltages to the light are L-N 239V L-E 240 v N-E 0v

Sponsored Links
if there's any info missing from here let me know i'm kind of just getting started out and its one of my first jobs

We had some problems with fly catchers. The starters have a number like FS8 on them and we ordered through RS an equivalent starter which was suppose to work with a range of lamps. However they failed. On talking to RS they were on special order able to supply the original type and all worked fine.

If original is for example FSU-10 then make sure you replace with this type.

Although with many you can use universal starters this is not true for all.

Thanks mate that's brilliant just getting started out so the benefit of experience is priceless really appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
hi i was trying to replace a starter in a light fitting the bulb is one of the circular types and rated at 28watt i used a 4-65w starter and the light cam on for a split second then off again. I thought the bulb had gone but tried the second starter again the light cam on for a split second then off again
...isn't that potentially consistent with what you thought - that the fault may well lie with the tube?

Kind Regards, John.

Check the starter is the right one.

There are two types of starters available for 4-65 tubes.

There is a series type which is normally used in modular fittings where two lamps work in series, and a standard starter for single tubes, PL lamps, 2Ds etc.

its not an electronic one and it is for a 2d bulb luckily today i managed to get a starter for a 2d bulb fitting and tried that but the light still didn't work think i might have to replace the fitting unless any of you more learned people know another solution

There's not much to make them work - lamp, starter and ballast.
I'm assuming you have replaced the lamp?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back