Strip light question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry guys but just a quickie.

When I switch on the strip light in my kitchen, it lights up fine then within 3 -5 seconds, it goes out again. I've tried changing the starter but that doesn't make any difference. Can I just assume it's the bulb and simply replace it or is it something more sinister ?

I ask because I've never had this problem with a strip light before - I thought they either worked or they didn't.

Any advice greatly appreciated . . .

Sponsored Links
if the tube starts back up after removin the starter, thats usually the fault, could be the tube or the choke. if its an old fittin for what they cost its worth replacing as u get a tube free anyway :)

like elz4742 says change starter, tube if you have a spare. More than likely the ballast!

Sponsored Links
Usually, unless it is an electronic ballast (which yours isn't) the ballast either works or it doesn't.

If it lights for a bit, then I suspect the lamp.

Are you sure you fitted the right type of starter? There are a few different types to select from.

ELZ4742 said:
if the tube starts back up after removin the starter, thats usually the fault, could be the tube or the choke. if its an old fittin for what they cost its worth replacing as u get a tube free anyway :)

I find that if the tube lights back up after removing the starter then it is usually the starter at fault.This has the effect of putting the cathode heaters in series and thus the voltage at the end of the lamps is not enough to sustain the lamp firing

Sarah

Yep - I agree with it being the starter.

Have you used the correct size / type of starter?

Check the max wattage of the starter.

What size tube?

For what it is worth, when relamping, ALWAYS change the tube AND starter. If it is a twin fitting, or modular fitting with several lamps, I always change the lot. We apply this rule through out all the sites we maintain.

Sarahspark said:
ELZ4742 said:

I find that if the tube lights back up after removing the starter then it is usually the starter at fault.This has the effect of putting the cathode heaters in series and thus the voltage at the end of the lamps is not enough to sustain the lamp firing

Sarah
isnt that what i said? :oops:

You were very ambiguous.

You said if it starts back up after removing the starter thats usually the fault, could be the tube or the choke.

then i appologise for my ambiguity. :cool:

note to self, book english lessons forth with

Thanks for the plethora of answers, people - Don't you just LOVE the internet ?

Anyway, I have tried changing the starter but get the same problem so I've assumed it's not that.

Are the ends of the tube blackened? if so then change the lamp.
It's all a process of elimination anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back