Trying to fix a fluorescent light ... now the starter is glowing?!?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I rent a room in a business. One of the two fluorescent lights doesn't have a bulb. Are they called bulbs???

Anyway. I'm at work doing a bit of DIY and figure I'll just stick in a new tube. Hmmm, doesn't work. A quick google (I know NOTHING about these lights) tells me that the starter might need replacing. A quick glance tells me that this light has no starter. Aha!

I went to test my theory by getting taking a starter from one of the (identical) lights from the waiting room. Put it in, doesn't work. Sigh. Put it back where it was ... now THIS one doesn't work anymore either!!!

Today I went back with two brand new starters. Again, neither light works. I thought that I'd just give the starter a wee tap (lighting equivalent of "kick it to make it work"). And - dead freaky - the starter GLOWED briefly and then the light came on.

So. Two questions. 1. Is the glowing thing a new thing that starters do? THAT light now does it briefly ever time it's switched on. Or does it mean the whole thing is defective? 2. Anything else worth trying with the original non-working light?

I did read something about a ballast, but I think that's beyond me.

Sponsored Links
Yes - calling the person/company from whom you rent the room. One of the things you pay for is working lighting.

Ha! Yes, that hadn't occurred to me I guess :) I tend to be pretty happy sorting these things out for myself and I don't mind a bit of give and take if I can manage it myself.

Sponsored Links
Starters that glow have neon "lamps" inside them, starters that do not glow have electronic circuitry to switch power to the heaters until the tube strikes.
When the tube has struck it becomes very low resistance and the voltage between the heaters at the ends is very small.

neon starter.jpg

Starters that glow have neon "lamps" inside them, starters that do not glow have electronic circuitry to switch power to the heaters until the tube strikes.
When the tube has struck it becomes very low resistance and the voltage between the heaters at the ends is very small.

View attachment 133438

Wonderful. Thank you - the glow kinda "looked" normal but I just couldn't find anything out about it at all!

Do make sure you have the correct starters in the fittings.

What length/ wattage are these lamps?

Some starters have aluminium capsules.

I hate to think what would have to be going on inside them for a glow to be visible.

They are about 1-1.5 m long. Not sure of the wattage. I replaced the starter like-for-like (S10, I think).

The glowing looks just like the pic halfway down this wiki page, so I think I'm all good on that front!

The other one though, I'm stumped. New starter, new "bulb", still doesn't work. Probably explains why the starter and tube were taken out in the first place!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back