Fluorescent tube doing this - is tube faulty or is it the starter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two fluorescent tube lights in the garage. Both were there when we moved in so I don’t know how old they are. Recently one of the two has stopped lighting when I turn it on. The two ends glow, and flicker but the tube itself never actually comes on. See the photos for what I mean.

Does the tube itself need replaced or is this a fault with the starter?

Attachments

• IMG_1702.jpeg
    IMG_1702.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1703.jpeg
    IMG_1703.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1704.jpeg
    IMG_1704.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
If the tube glows orange at the ends, the tube has reached the end of its life.
Could be that a new starter is required - swap the starter from the working fitting, if the tube now springs into life shows that the removed starter has died.
But best to replace the tube with a new one, will probably be more brighter, as fluorescent tubes dim over their lifetime.

If the tube glows at the end constantly, without flashing or the ends dimming, then the starter ins't working
If the tube flashes but doesn't strike, the tube is bad

But, if left on with a bad starter and the ends glowing, will wear out the emmision material on the filements and if left flashing from a bad tube, it'll wear out the starter. So doens't really matter what is faulty, its normal to change them together. An older starter that works but has slowed down will also wear the tube more.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both. I’ll replace tube and starter then.

The rule of thumb with fluorescents was the way most went to try out replacement.
3 main components being the starter, the tube and the choke.
So, first try a new starter is the cheapest, easiest option, then if still no then try a new tube, then if that doesnt work it is probably the choke, in that case its often easier and cheaper to replace the whole fitting which often came supplied with a new tube.
Of course we have moved on from that and nowadays LED battens are all the rage and fluoros are more expensive if you can get them.
PS the tube ends blackening was often a sign of a bad tube past its life, although they could often carry on a good while after that in many instances.

There is very little advantage to be gained, swapping fluorescent lights for LED, and especially so if the light is rarely in use, like those in a garage.
Thanks Harry. I suppose whether I replace or not will depend on the availability of tubes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back