Flourescent tube flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, my kitchen tube lights are flickering like crazy and wont light up. Its a double tube, 4 foot long. They are about 6 years old. Both tubes flicker on and off, kitchen looks like a nightclub, but the lights just wont stay on.

Ive never fit one of these so have no idea what could be wrong. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
First step, try a new starter - unlikely both tubes would go together.
Wouldn't a twin-tube fitting have two starters - hence, again, 'unlikley to both go together'? However, we are not told explicitly that both tubes started flickering at the same time. As you say, it's certainly likely to be a starter and/or tube problem.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
First step, try a new starter - unlikely both tubes would go together.
Wouldn't a twin-tube fitting have two starters
I know this one is six years old but from memory all of the twin tubes I have fitted have only one starter.
Interesting. Admittedly, it's many years (certainly far more than 6) since I fitted a twin-tube fitting in my house, but I have several (in cellar, garage and a few other places,)and all have two starters. If that's changed, I guess that it's 'penny-pinching' again, since (as we're discussing), failure of the starter will stop both tubes working.

Kind Regards, John

Cant recall seeing anything other than a single starter per tube on that length fitting. Shorter fittings sometimes utilise a series starter for two tubes

HF fittings often require both tubes to run together though, but thats not what the topic is about

Cant recall seeing anything other than a single starter per tube on that length fitting.
As I said, that's my experience - but I don't think I've used/got one anything like as 'young' as '6 years old', so I don't know whether things have changed!

Kind Regards, John

Shorter fittings sometimes utilise a series starter for two tubes

series starters can only be used singerly to do one tube at 110 volt
At 240v series starters are always used as a pair for two lamps.
They are 4-22 watt, with two 2ft 18 watt tubes using a single 36 watt choke being the most common

I've never, ever, in my 40 odd years seen a twin fitting with only ONE starter.... I don't believe its possible.

Back to the OP's question .... when the tube attempts to strike (flashing) what colour are the ends of the tube?

Red - the tube is at the end of its useful life. Replace the tube.

White - the starter is faulty. Replace.

These simple guidelines don't always work...... but they've been good for 99% of problems I've seen.

I've never, ever, in my 40 odd years seen a twin fitting with only ONE starter.... I don't believe its possible
I'm glad it wasn't just me - all of you (with one exception) seem to have the same experience as me - riveralt seems to be in a distinct minority with his experience :)

Kind Regards, John

I've never, ever, in my 40 odd years seen a twin fitting with only ONE starter.... I don't believe its possible.

Its not unknown of on smaller fittings, for example 600x600 fittings with 2 foot tubes sometimes have 4 tubes and 2 series starters, also seen series starter arrangements in fly zappers etc.

As I've said, I've never seen a 5' or 6' fitting with such an arrangement

Its not unknown of on smaller fittings, for example 600x600 fittings with 2 foot tubes sometimes have 4 tubes and 2 series starters, also seen series starter arrangements in fly zappers etc.

As I've said, I've never seen a 5' or 6' fitting with such an arrangement

Interesting. I've seen series starters used on 2' tubes when two tubes have been wired onto a single ballast - that's common..... but each tube has always had its own starter.....

I'm glad it wasn't just me - all of you (with one exception) seem to have the same experience as me - riveralt seems to be in a distinct minority with his experience :)
I know age is catching up to me and my memory is not as good as it was but I'm positive I fitted one of these with a single starter about six months ago - I will try and dig out the make and model and find the instructions.

I've never, ever, in my 40 odd years seen a twin fitting with only ONE starter.... I don't believe its possible

Kind Regards, John

http://www.tabelek.co.uk/datasheets/UM2-UM3-Datasheet.pdf
UM3 version

Still looking for the instructions for the lamp I fitted recently.

http://www.tabelek.co.uk/datasheets/UM2-UM3-Datasheet.pdf
UM3 version. Still looking for the instructions for the lamp I fitted recently.
Thanks. So there are at least some starters designed for twin loads - so all we need to find are the fittings which use them. Given the existence of these starters, I presume you must be right that there are some such fittings - but it does seem (from people's comments above) that they are far from being common, so I think your:
I know this one is six years old but from memory all of the twin tubes I have fitted have only one starter.
...could reasonably described as a pretty atypical experience, and a marked overstatement of the general situation - again perhaps indicating the rarity of 2-tube ones.

The other thing is that this UM3 is somewhat of a 'fancy' starter, designed specifically for 2-tube use, and I've personally never seen a anything other that 'generic' bog-standard starters.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back