Flourescent tube flashing

That links just a standard electronic series starter, and again mainly used in pairs

You can only use normal series ones singly on 110 volt, exception being electronic ones that some like the one above can do 115 to 240 singly

The only twin 36 watt with one starter may be an emergency converted unit, where one starters in the remote pack

H/f lamps can flicker regardless of what they say and in the OP's case there may not even be starters

Sponsored Links
That links just a standard electronic series starter, and again mainly used in pairs ... You can only use them singly on 110 volt
That does seem to make sense. It says:
The UM3 is for twin lamps, operating in series from one ballast
If the tubes/lamps are in series across a 230V supply, they clearly can't be 230V tubes.

Kind Regards, John

Tubes dont have a voltage,do they
Soorry i edited the post :)

You get a better understanding if you can find a wiring diagram for series fittings

Singurly used at 110 volt as in one tube

Tubes dont have a voltage,do they
They don't have a 'supply voltage rating', but they do come with specifications indicating 'the voltage of the tube' (i.e. the voltage across it when struck, assuming it's in series with a ballast) - for example, with Sylvania ones, the 'across-tube voltages' are given as 57V for 2' tubes, 103V for 3' ones, 110V for 5' ones and 128V for 5' ones.

That suggests to me that two 5' ones of those in series might well not strike with a 230V supply, and even two 3' ones would be a bit iffy - but maybe I'm over-simplifying!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Interesting. I've seen series starters used on 2' tubes when two tubes have been wired onto a single ballast - that's common..... but each tube has always had its own starter.....

Your probably right, now that you say that, my memory might be playing tricks on me again :( .Its rare these these days that a place we go in doesn't have HF lay in fittings, or even LED panels

I've never, ever, in my 40 odd years seen a twin fitting with only ONE starter.... I don't believe its possible.

Agreed. There's one starter for each tube on each side of the fitting for a twin fitting.

Or some of the older fittings have them inside...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back