Flow rate issue with Combi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I apologise if this question is daft and also if I get a little long winded. I think I know the answer to this question before I post it but wanted to ask anyway in case I am missing a trick.

Basically we have removed a partition wall in our kitchen to extend the size and all the pipework for the downstairs (heating and water) came down the middle of this partition wall. As a result it has required us to reroute the pipework for downstairs on a longer more contrived route.

Since doing this we have had an issue with the flow rate to the kitchen sink whereby the hot water flow rate is too low to trigger the combi - its not much more than a trickle and its a proper pain. Also the heating downstairs takes longer to get hot but does reach full temperature about 15 mins later than it did.

I can't see that alone causing the issue - however I believe the number of pipe bends may have.

We also added a utility room and the hot tapk in there works fine (as are all taps upstairs), so it has to be something after the pipes are routed under the floor in the kitchen.

Is it possible we have simply put in too many bends?

We will be having the kitchen redone at some point again this year anyway so I can look to re-route the pipes in a much more simplistic way, but until then is there much of anything we can do?

Tried adjusting the flow rate at the boiler but although it upped the flow upstairs nicely, the kitchen sink still not got the oomph.

Thanks guys, and again, apologies for the length of question :eek:

Sponsored Links
Pretty sure the pressure drop added by the few new bends would be significantly lower than the head loss incurred as the water travels up 2.5-3 meters to the upper floor and you say the taps upstairs are fine.

If its just a trickle coming from the tap, I would think its a blockage in Could it be a blockage in the line or the tap itself?. Maybe with all the re-work dislodged some crud that is blocking the tap?.

Pressure seems down on the cold though too. I've even changed the taps to see if it made a difference.

Any other thoughts at all.

Sponsored Links
That may be a clue. Flexi connections are usually used by DIYers and semi cowboys,

The cheap ones have small diameter internal diameters.

You need to break the flow somewhewre and connect a hose and measure the flow rate. By moving further away from the boiler you may fine a blockage. Or if it gets progreassively worse then it may ne just the number of bands but that seems most unlikely if the suypply is from the mains.

Tony

That may be a clue. Flexi connections are usually used by DIYers and semi cowboys,
Tony

Guilty as charged!

Only thing I would say is that it wasn't even working with the original monobloc tap which prior to the reroute were fine.....

I may be able to test the flow rate though as i have a shut off valve on both hot and cold pipes under the sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back