Flue exiting onto neighbours land - please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a through-by-light terrace so all the back rooms in our house go directly onto neighbours garden, and vice versa. Our neighbour is more-than-happy for us to have the flue for our boiler exiting our utility room onto her land as this is what all the other houses on the street have, but the installers are obviously wary. They have told us that if she has it written into the deeds of her house that we have the right to vent the boiler there and that she won't dismantle or obstruct the flue then it should be okay.

Can anyone see any problems with this?

She's happy for us to arrange the covenant for the deeds (with us paying all costs, of course) but we don't want to go through it all just to find that they can't do it anyway, and the installers seem unwilling to commit. I've called building regs and they said it's okay as far as they're concerned. Corgi say if building regs are happy then they are too.

Originally the installers said we could just have a vertical flue exiting at roof level but apparently the house is too tall for this (4 floors) and there are no other suitable places to fit the boiler - the rooms at the front of the house (eg. exiting onto our land) are all bedrooms and this would devalue the house so much that it's just not worth it.

Any advice much appreciated.

MrsB x

Sponsored Links
If everones happy to let the guys fit the flue & it to work, I say go ahed & fit it.

If anyone messes with the flue afterwards, call the police & let them deal with the issue..... That would be a criminal act, as against a bit of a Civil spat.

Your neighbour is likely to be saying that she's okay with your proposal based on her experience of the flue's already installed in other properties and you would be advised to check if any are from condensing boilers.

If they are not and she has not experienced the plume which the new breed produce then she may feel differently once it's installed and starts fogging out her next garden party :LOL:

Be upfront with her and get agreement on what the likely output is from your new installation and you'll be less likely to have a fallout afterwards ;)

Also, you would be advised to fit a plume management kit to raise the exit point to first floor level IMO (it doesn't need to go all the way to the roof) ... Less likelyhood of causing a nuisance than at ground level in her garden.

MW

The law says No, no matter how much you bully the neighbour into signing bits of paper, and in any case there's plenty of boilers on the market where the flue can go through the roof. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
doitall said:
John M said:
doitall said:
The law says No,

I bet your fun @ parties :rolleyes:

Read what I wrote and think about it.

Then think 12months down the line when they fall out or a new owner moves in.

Everyone would end up in front of the Beak ..... Who would turn to the complainant & say why have you brought this nonsence in to my court room ..... GET OUT

If you want to get arsey DIA then perhaps YOU should read what I wrote and think about it ... Fool.

Have you any idea how many TBL terraces there are up and down the country with this issue and many are resolved through sensible agreements between owners which are written into deed covenants to legalise the agreement ... What do you think deed covenants are for?

This also prevents future disputes as new buyers are made aware of the covenant BEFORE they buy.

Try offering solutions rather than simply being obstructive.

MW

Not getting arsey megawatt.

My reply was quite obviously to the original question even for the wurzels down south/west. :LOL:

I have no idea what a TBL terrace is but I know the regs and when in doubt stick to them, and as I said there's plenty of boilers on the market where the flue can go through the roof

MrsBlue: The nature of this forum being what it is, you will get conflicting opinions and must read all the posts and make your own decision.

Doitall wouldn't go down the Deed Covenant route and would, instead, select a boiler where the flue could exit at roof level.

JohnM would install as-is following LABC approval and Corgi advice (which wouldn't have any bearing in court BTW).

I am somewhere between the two :)

I would be happy to fit a boiler where the flue exited at first floor level at the back of your property despite the fact that it would vent over your neighbours property provided ...

1. Your neighbour was made aware of the level of pluming which would be expected from the boiler you choose.

2. You formalise her acceptance and agreement of this in the deed covenant to prevent future disputes (either from your existing or future neighbour).

3. Nobody bullies anybody ;)

And, Doitall, if you're in the market for a combine harvester I may be able to oblige :LOL:

MW

megawatt said:
And, Doitall, if you're in the market for a combine harvester I may be able to oblige :LOL:

All sing along now "I've gotta brand new combine harvester & I'll give you the key"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back