Flue termination?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have been asked if a flue termination from a boiler is allowed within the Gas Safe regs but I cant find any answer to my question?!
The termination is in an old terraced house with a basement, this basement has a pit and window that you can see from the path way outside the front of the property, the pit is approx 7ft deep, 7ft long and 4ft wide and covered on all 4 sides - 3 walls and a window. The top of the pit is open completley to atmosphere.
Would the flue termination fall within the regs terminating within this void?

I dont think it does fall within regs but I've been proven wrong in the past! lol
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I would say that the pit, or properly called an "area" (don't know why), will fill up with CO2 and probablely would not pass the gas board regs. There is also a distance to a window to be respected.
Frank

Sponsored Links
I would say that the pit, or properly called an "area" (don't know why), will fill up with CO2 and probablely would not pass the gas board regs. There is also a distance to a window to be respected.
Frank
I assume that the POC could potentially be drawn back into the flue for combustion due to the area it would be situated in?

Flues should be terminated no lower than 300mm above ground level.
The flue termination would be approx 5ft off the ground level of the pit so no where near ground level
Yes, so not safe my friend!
I thought the 300mm level was to stop the potential of flue blockage from say, snow or leaves etc but the pit has drainage so I dont see the problem with that? I may be wrong but the regs dont really cover this scenario??

See a lot of basement installations in London (paddington area) and the flue is routed to discharge just above pavement level,with use of various flue bends,clips and extensions.

Its do able but needs good planning for safety, nuisance and possibilty of damage.

As above, thousands of flues from basements round here poking out at ankle level, I can't imagine a situation that would cause POC puddling in the basement itself.

prenticeboy go and read your books again you are missing something if you think all flues must terminate 300mm above ground level

I think you'll also find the flue is essentially covered in 3 sides and the regs state only 2 is allowed. you would have to add a plume kit to terminate higher

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back