Flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just walking up to the house back door and noticed the boiler flue is there something missing neighbours has a black part on theirs

Cheers

Attachments

• 694D5A53-1945-47AA-9529-0ED6C09FCE13.jpeg
    694D5A53-1945-47AA-9529-0ED6C09FCE13.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
Flue terminals do come in different colours, or they may have a plume kit on. Yours looks ok, but it’s a tiny bit short, would have expected to see a weather collar and the ridge.

If it's high up, (i.e. above door height out of reach), I think it's fine.
They usually have a plastic/metal cage over them if they are lower down where prying fingers can reach in and possibly burn themselves.

Thanks for the replies, one of those things never noticed it before think at one time there was a rubber ring before they roughcast the house worried in case rain could get in

Sponsored Links
If it's high up, (i.e. above door height out of reach), I think it's fine.
They usually have a plastic/metal cage over them if they are lower down where prying fingers can reach in and possibly burn themselves.
2.1M from finished floor level for those ;)

Thanks for the replies, one of those things never noticed it before think at one time there was a rubber ring before they roughcast the house worried in case rain could get in
Probably ok.

It must be sealed to the building to stop poisonous products of combustion entering the house. The rubber/plastic collars usually do this, though the pebbledash rendering may serve this purpose too.

Has the building had solid external cladding added or new render?

It's typical of these guys when they add external cladding it adds thickness (~100mm) to the walls and what was a perfectly sized length of flue has now become just a little bit too small.

If the flue can end up too short then they have to consider 2 options, 1> extend the flue 2> leave a 300mm recess around the flue to allow free space. If they don't and don't discuss extending it with you then they could be creating a dangerous situation. That flue looks to be right on the limit but hard to say not being onsite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back