Fluid Master Push Button Flushing assembly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased two of these kits in the past 18 months. I would advise anyone to note that there seems to be a design fault in the button itself.
I am not talking about the top push button flush system. My gripe concerns the button fitted to the front of the cistern.
The button assembly comes as two parts the body and the button itself.
The button stem passes inside the main body and is held in place with a small screw.
The design fault itself is the plastic threaded portion which the lever arm and flushing assembly attaches to. This threaded plastic piece is held in place with a chrome steel clip, A collar and a plastic nut. Care should be taken not to overtighten the nut as you will snap the threaded part from the body.
Over a period of time depending on how often the toilet is used this part will end up breaking. Meaning that you will have to buy the whole kit itself as this part does not come as a spare. Well you won't get it from any diy store. You will have to buy the whole kit.
The threaded portion of the body is not moulded with the body in one, Closer examination seems to reveal that the this threaded portion is actually added to the body later and held in place with some form of resin. This is a very weak part and could snap at any time. Once the two parts are stuck together the whole assy is chromed. I have since wrote to the makers informing them of this problem as it is a design fault which needs to be rectified. Either that they supply these parts on their own or redesign this part. I do not see why you have to go out and buy the whole kit just for this part its outrageous and damn right stupid. A brilliant invention but its this design fault which lets the whole thing down.
You can by the trap as a single pieceso why not the button assy as well.
Buyers beware! I will update this as soon as i here back from the manufacturer.

Sponsored Links
Hi, As the UK representative for Fluidmaster UK, we note your concerns regarding the Fluidmaster 694UK pushbutton which comes as part of the Fluidmaster flapper flush valve and pushbutton kit. This kit has been sold in the UK for over 10 years without problem. B&Q listed all three spare pushbuttons (Chrome, Gold & White) for 4 years. Due to it's troublefree performance the usage was minimal so they were withdrawn by B&Q & no longer listed by them. I note from your profile you are located in the Avon area? Our distribution facility, CMI - Fluidmaster UK' is located in Portishead on the west side of Bristol. We take comments very seriously regarding our products and feedback is welcome, good or bad. Therefore if you are local and would like to visit us at your convenience please contact us on [email protected] where we would be happy to arrange a time & date to discuss this with you further. Regards Chris.

Hi, As the UK representative for Fluidmaster UK, we note your concerns regarding the Fluidmaster 694UK pushbutton which comes as part of the Fluidmaster flapper flush valve and pushbutton kit. This kit has been sold in the UK for over 10 years without problem. B&Q listed all three spare pushbuttons (Chrome, Gold & White) for 4 years. Due to it's troublefree performance the usage was minimal so they were withdrawn by B&Q & no longer listed by them. I note from your profile you are located in the Avon area? Our distribution facility, CMI - Fluidmaster UK' is located in Portishead on the west side of Bristol. We take comments very seriously regarding our products and feedback is welcome, good or bad. Therefore if you are local and would like to visit us at your convenience please contact us on [email protected] where we would be happy to arrange a time & date to discuss this with you further. Regards Chris.

I have since been in contact with Fluidmaster and found this company to be very helpful indeed. My complaint was handled in a professional manner and has since been sorted out.
I would just like to add that this kit has worked with no problems at all except for the problem with the button which the company states is basically unheard of.
The supplies of these buttons were made available to the likes of B&Q but for the fact that basically none were sold they were withdrawn. This obviously states that the problem i have had is a very rare one and should not reflect upon anyone thinking of buying one of these kits.
They are very easy to fit providing that all manufacture instructions are followed to the rule.
I would like to take this opertunity in thanking Fluidmaster for their excellent aftersales service and appreciated their help in bringing this matter to a conclusion.
It also refelects that this thread has received no similar problems that this problem must be very acute.
I would endorse this product to anyone Thankyou Fluidmaster :D

Sadly although you all seem to believe this is a rare occurence because no-one bought any of the spare buttons it appears that it is not so rare.
Because exactly the same thing has happened to my unit. The thread part has just broken in half without any particular reason.
It appears to be the case that I am going to have to buy an entire new kit at around £16.
Alhough it does appear to be possible to buy the button item online this is not a good option because..
(a) the only one I can find online shows only the button itself and it isn't clear that it comes with all the fittings
(b) it costs £13.99 which is nearly the same as the complete kit.
I am guessing that it is possible that the reason the spare button units never sold was that for the difference in price the affected customers may just have bought the complete unit anyway.
So I revert to the original post and would say that it's still probably a design flaw that should be resolved.

Sponsored Links
How old is yours? Mine is around 5yrs old and trouble free so far.

You should note that the original thread is over 8 years old. It seems that fluidmaster were very helpful in sorting out the problem then would probably do the same for you. I've not heard of the problem and fitted loads so you were just unlucky and came across a rare fault. That's what warranties are for.

I agree with Elkato, I have fitted hundreds of fluid master flush valves and float valves and never had a problem.

Andy

Well to be fair it has lasted a good many years. But it doesn't help me to hear that you lot have never had this problem.
I'm clearly not alone and the threaded sleeve should probably be metal not plastic.
Anyway I've bought an entire new unit now from Screwfix for £16 as getting the valve mechanism alone was going to cost me £13 with a month's wait for delivery from the US.
If I was starting again I wouldn't buy one of these or recommend it because of the flimsiness of this single point of failure and the fact that essentially there's little choice other than to replace the whole shebang.

Well, we have 2 posters complaining, the first most likely overy tightened the nut causing the plastic part to snap and the second admitted it has been fine for a good many years but mentioned buying a part from the US! Plenty of options to buy the same part in the UK :eek:

Have to say I've also fitted a great deal of these without any customer complaints or premature failures. Metal parts corrode and seize up in the damp environment of toilet cisterns - plastic is more reliable. Methinks hamfisted DIYers might be the problem here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back