Fluorescent Batten Light In Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

Hoping for a bit of advice. A relative of mine has asked me to fit a fluorescent batten light in her bathroom. I am competent enough to do so having fitted quite a few in the past.

My question is however is this style of fitting suitable for a bathroom? The reason she wants it is because the bathroom is quite long and narrow in shape. It had two batten lamp holders until the council re-wired and took one of them away, there is not enough light in the bathroom now.

Would is be suitable if fitted with a diffuser?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin :D

Sponsored Links
Have a look in the DIYnot wiki for information on bathroom zones.

It is unlikely to be compliant due to the external influences of steam and moisture present in a bathroom.

You could install a vapour proof fitting, but I appreciate these are not necessarily the best looking thing for a domestic bathroom.

Have a look in the DIYnot wiki for information on bathroom zones.

It is unlikely to be compliant due to the external influences of steam and moisture present in a bathroom.

You could install a vapour proof fitting, but I appreciate these are not necessarily the best looking thing for a domestic bathroom.

Thanks RF !

Seems to be quite a struggle to find a decent looking bathroom fitting that gives off good light!

You could use something like a 38W 2D fitting in place of each of the existing batten holders.

Two of these fittings will produce a similar amount of light as a 6 foot fluorescent fitting would, and there are some reasonable looking fittings on the market which are suitable for use in a bathroom.

Sponsored Links
You could use something like a 38W 2D fitting in place of each of the existing batten holders.

Two of these fittings will produce a similar amount of light as a 6 foot fluorescent fitting would, and there are some reasonable looking fittings on the market which are suitable for use in a bathroom.

Thanks again. Problem is when the council re-wired the house they removed one of the batten holders, plastered the hole. Leaving one fitting which is at one end of the bathroom so it doesn't give out a good proportion of light!

In that case,

1) Look into whether your should be doing any electrical work there at all, if it is council owned, then probably not!

2) If 1) does not put a stop to work, then simply re-add the missing lighting point, barring in mind its technically notifiable work, unless you were to count it as renewing a damaged cable (that has already been removed by another)

3) Batten flurescent would be rusting at the edges in 2 years time!

This is a standard type fitting installed in the bathrooms by AH and councils.

KA :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back