Fluorescent Lights for Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of renovating a house and am looking for some fluorescent lights for a kitchen, and need some advice on what size tubes I need.

There is a kitchen/diner which is roughly 15' x 8' in size (with a ceiling around 8'4 high across most of the room) attached to a utility which is 12' x 5' in size (with a ceiling around 7' high) via a wall opening around 8' wide x 6'6 high.

The utility has windows across the whole 12' length of the room so lighting is less critical, and I'm concerned I don't want a massive striplight a foot above my head, but obviously I want it bright enough to be able to work.

I'm thinking along the lines of a 5' (maybe 6') tube in the kitchen and a 3' (maybe 4') but wanted to sanity check the sizes with you guys before I went ahead. The 5' light in my current kitchen is too bright for my liking but it's a relatively small room at around 10' x 7'.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I like the look of the Diffundi lights - a lot nicer than the traditional "batten" type.

They only seem to do them in twin tube models though - are there any single tube lights of similar appearance?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back