Fluorescent Lights hunting/scrolling..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Existing 4ft fluorescent fitting in the garage (an unheated garage) appear to be hunting/scrolling in appearance. They dont flicker, but just seems to scroll/roll (tumbling) inside. Sorry, unsure on technical term for it.

A 240v at Live/Neutral on terminals, which i would have thought a loose neutral would cause this, or maybe the cold?

Currently isolated lighting circuit until it can be rectified

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Nothing to do with the starter ( if you can take it out once lit you can proove this).
The cause is the cold. Leave it running for a few minutes and it will return to normal.

Thanks for the replies, thanks awarded.

I was unsure, its one of them stumping things that you never see. I did suspect it was due to the cold, and not being enclosed etc.

Sponsored Links
Just the cold. Seems to happen more so on new tubes for some reason.

Happens on electronic ballasts a lot. My shop is entirely lit by t5 tubes and see it a lot especially on cold tubes.

starters can be very temperamental. Also try the electronic starter, they can prove better

starters can be very temperamental. Also try the electronic starter, they can prove better

As I said in post 3 it is nothing to do with the starter.

Electronic starters give cleaner starting but won't stop strobing due to the cold.

I have cured the problem in the past by changing the starter, that's why I said to try this first. Easy if it works but might not

I have cured the problem in the past by changing the starter, that's why I said to try this first. Easy if it works but might not

The electronic ones actually do operate better in cold environments where the standard ones can be affected.

It sounds like his is describing the tube trying to start and almost getting there. I would either try the electronic ones, or (if its Tamlite change the thing to a decent make)

wikipedia said:
New fluorescent lamps may show a twisting spiral pattern of light in a part of the lamp. This effect is due to loose cathode material and usually disappears after a few hours of operation.
If one reads the complete accunt of the fluorescent lamp there are so many variations it is impossible to give an answer without knowing exactly the system used.

One major problem is the fluorescent lamp is a combination of tube and control gear which can take many forms. In the main the effect you see is no problem electrical wise although it may cause a problem for some people.

This is becoming a real problem with our rules on discrimination where firms may be forced to change their lighting system because one employee. As far as I am aware LED lighting does not have the same problem but the government drive for so called energy saving lighting has caused problems for some people and firms employing them.

As already said in the main caused because the tube is too cold but in real terms not much can be done to stop it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back