flush a combi boiler system for a diyer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am thinking about cleaning my heating system out. i took a rad off the wall to replaster and it was filled with loads of black gunk. my heating dosent seem to be working as good as it did when i first moved in. ive tried bleeding them but still no good. all i can think of is that theres to much gunk in it. i was thinking of connecting a hose pipe to a downstairs rad draining plug and turning the filling tap on the boiler for awhile. will that flush it out or will it do something to the boiler. the make of the boiler is a volkra or something not sure of the model. thanks to anyone that helps and gives advice.

Sponsored Links
There is a video on Youtube which shows flushing out a heating system with a hosepipe. How effective that will be is a another matter, and if larger particles of rubbish are forced through the boiler there is the possibility of blockages which could be very expensive to resolve.

Another more likely option is to remove each radiator, take it outside and flush through with a hose, preferably hitting the rad with a rubber mallet at the same time to dislodge whatever is in there.

If they are really bad, you may find this causes the radiator to fail, however better if it does that outside than all over your carpet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back