Flush button gets stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had this toilet for about a year and a half and the flush button has started to stick. Its a cheap toilet from B and Q.

It only does it intermittently and the first you know about it is if you go in the toilet and hear the water running into the pan.

The actual button pops back up but the internal mechanism in the button is still stuck down and so water keeps going into the pan.

Anyone go any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
I had this problem and the next thing that happened was the whole button pinged out. I got a new push button fitting from the manufacturer. Perhaps you could check with B&Q? :cool:

release the clip on the blue part from the bottom of the button.
open the blue part and release the the cable from the lever inside.
the spray wd40 etc down the cable and keep operating the cable by hand
it will free the cable from the outer sleeve.
limescale etc causes it to stick in the sleeve.
its just like a pushbike brake cakle.

thats the old b208 flush valve made by lab fitted to most b&q wc's.

I recognise this valve as it has been giving the same annoying problem since the toilet was installed. Nothing fixed it and I discovered that the valve and button are of poor design. Lots were replaced free under the 1 year guarantee. Too late for that now though. It's got no identification on it but the valve was made by Macdee (CME). The good news is that you can replace it easily enough with their improved model known as the Arcadia. It's a ten minute job whereas a different manufacturer's unit might take a long time to fit and require a plumber. The valve separates by twisting and lifting the main body. It has two lugs which drop into a recess and the body is secured by turning it either to the left or the right. That's neat because it gives you more flexibility for positioning it in a small cistern.The replacement can be fixed into the housing which is secured to the cistern bottom. Easy to work this out when you get the new drop valve. Also changed is the design of the push button. A new McAFee Arcadia dual flush valve cost me £24 but at least it can be fitted in ten minutes without requiring a plumber.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back