flush lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im going to be lowering both my hall and kitchen ceilings in the coming few days. I`ll be installing flush lighting fittings to both, a row of four lights down the centre of the hall and four in the kitchen. I have no knowledge of electrical wiring whatsoever. Is it safe to use the existing wiring from the single ceiling rose in the hall and wire flush light number one to it then add wiring to that extending to flush light number two, then on to lights three and four? If this is incorrect and dangerous can someone tell me the correct method of wiring these flush lights, i would be using the one switch to light all four flush lights (the existing switch) Thanks in advance. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Call a qualified electrician in - as you are not sure of what you are doing.

You and your family's safety is of primary importance - don't try any electrical work yourself.
:cry:

I would go for a set of low voltage lights they are easier as the interconnecting wiring is usually done for you.

also you could remove the lamp holder (not the rose) and the two wires can then be connected to the low voltage transformer mains terminals

only problem i can see is that the ceiling rose will now be unaccessable

Millennium_Boy said:
Call a qualified electrician in - as you are not sure of what you are doing.

You and your family's safety is of primary importance - don't try any electrical work yourself.
:cry:

You are of course spot on Mille - boy safety is paramount. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
I would go for a set of low voltage lights they are easier as the interconnecting wiring is usually done for you.

also you could remove the lamp holder (not the rose) and the two wires can then be connected to the low voltage transformer mains terminals

only problem i can see is that the ceiling rose will now be unaccessable

Taking on board what Mille - Boy above said and paying all due attention to safety I think i will give this option a try breezer it seems fairly simple from what you say here. When i do go to buy the low voltage lights i`ll ask the in-store electrician for advice on what lights are easiest to do this with and if there are any difficulties i might incur. Thanks to both you guys for your input, it`s appreciated. ;)

you would get better advice on these forums, the sparks know what they are talking about, in the sheds its just a bloke who feels privalidged to wear the word electrician next to his name tag, (its like in primary school where the biggest looser of the year is given the title 'milk dispenser' hands out milk to make em feel special :LOL: :LOL: ) and all he has done is read a book....if that!
and mb says you shouldent do it, if you read the other posts by him you will see that he has an unhealthy obsession with niceic and 7029 cable, (aint that right mb? :LOL:) which, apparently is a fire risk :confused: hmmmmmmm
diyers can carry out work safely, but read up on it so you feel confident, if you buy a kit you will find that it includes everything needed, so the only thing you would need to worry about is making the connections securly

AR

I always thought those kits were to be avoided, on account of the crude voltage regulation that they employ, and that the one-transformer-one-lamp variety were the ones to use?

makes no diffreence for diyers, they are unlikly to be fitting more than say 10? no pro will use tham on account of if they break, you have to get at the trannsformer which is massive, they are not 'nice' to fit, and yes they do break, but are easy to fit, for diy it wouldent matter as much if they did break

AR

supersparks said:
diyers can carry out work safely, but read up on it so you feel confident, if you buy a kit you will find that it includes everything needed, so the only thing you would need to worry about is making the connections securly.

AR

Thanks supersparks, monday is d-day for my hall ceiling....I`ll let everyone know how i get on......if i don't get back to you guys by tuesday im probably toast! ;)

supersparks said:
i hope your only lightly toasted :LOL:

Update on the flush lighting......both ceilings lowered and flush lighting installed.......Im Still white as snow........avoided any toasting....light or otherwise lol. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back