Modifying Lighting Wiring Layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please forgive my question as I'm still trying to get my head around the different ways of wiring lights, having a light that can be controlled by two different switches, etc.

Currently there are some lights in the house which are configured as so...

Entrance Hall Switch:
Exterior Front Light
Entrance Hall Light

Former Hall Switch:
Former Hall Light
Upstairs Hall Light

Upstairs Hall Switch:
Upstairs Hall Light

I want to change it to this, and looking for some advice on the wiring that would be needed:

Entrance Hall Switch:
Exterior Front Light
Entrance Hall Light
Upstairs Hall Light

Upstairs Hall Switch:
Entrance Hall Light
Upstairs Hall Light

This also involves removing one light switch entirely, and removing the Former Hall Light...

Not comprehensive, but here is some images of the wiring:

Entrance Hall Switch:
Three sets of wires going to the switch.
View media item 52653View media item 52654
Entrance Hall Light:
Three sets of wires going to the light.
View media item 52655View media item 52656
Former Hall Switch:
Two sets of wires going to the switch.
View media item 52657
Former Hall Light:
Two sets of wires going to the light.
View media item 52658
Upstairs Hall Switch:
Two sets of wires going to the switch.
View media item 52659
Upstairs Hall Light:
Four sets of wires going to the light.
View media item 52660View media item 52661
I realise this doesn't make it clear what the exact layout of the relevant wiring is like around the building, but I'm hoping that with my stated requirements (plus the current images making it clear what method of wiring has been used before) it will make it possible to at least gain the advice on how the wiring will need to be afterwards. If any other info about the current wiring layout is required then I will provide...

Sponsored Links
Okay, I am starting to get my head around the wiring. One thing I don't understand is why there are three sets of wires going to the first switch, rather than just two? I'm presuming it is something to do with the exterior light...

Have a look at the diynot wiki at the top of the page. Look in electrics uk, lighting. There are comprehensive diagrams.

Thing with twin or treble switches is to consider each switch in the singular, not as a whole.

Where you have a light with two way switching ( as in you can operate the switch at two locations) just remember to buy a two way switch and work on the logic that the initial feed back from the lamp is standard twin and earth and the inter link between switches is three core and earth.

Thanks, I've finally managed to work most of it out.

I don't have a three gang switch yet, but at least I've made a start. Now we have...

Old Entrance Hall Switch:
1 - Not In Use
2 - Exterior Light

New Entrance Hall Switch:
1 - Entrance Hall Light
2 - Landing Hall Light

Old Landing Hall Switch:
1 - Landing Hall Light

Took me a lot of studying wiring diagrams online to work it out. (It didn't help that I was forgetting that both wires going from a light outlet to a switch are live, even if they are live and neutral colours... That was throwing me off a bit). Once I have a three gang switch, I can replace the Entrance Hall Switch and move the wiring from the old switch to the new one (easily).

What will probably take a bit more working out is putting a two gang switch upstairs to control both hall lights... *ugh*

Sponsored Links
(It didn't help that I was forgetting that both wires going from a light outlet to a switch are live, even if they are live and neutral colours... That was throwing me off a bit)

That is a very common mistake.

A wire may be black, or blue but that is all it is, a black or blue wire.
The function may be many things.

If it is live, or may become live, then it should be sleeved red, or brown.

Yes, I've got it now. :LOL: And I like your signature...

I realised about the red/brown 'sleeving' after I'd been looking at the diagrams on here and another site for a while. None of the wiring I've seen in this house so far has that...

I also saw some diagrams showing a 3 core wire being used but which had two live coloured and one earth coloured wire (rather than having a sleeved wire for the second live). I don't think it was in the UK, though. Do we have those here?

Managed to properly disconnect the light being removed completely now (the rose and everything was temporarily shoved above the ceiling yesterday when we were putting up ceiling boards). That one was coming from a junction box, which explains why there was only 2 sets of wires going to that rose...

I suppose I could always take the 1 gang switch from upstairs and use that for the exterior light temporarily, and then take the 2 gang switch from there upstairs and try to get the wiring sussed for the additional 2-way...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back