NEW FLUSH LIGHT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone help ? I have just purchased a new flush light to go in my downstairs hall to repalce my ceiling rose. I have got an idea of how to wire it in (do i need a juction box ?) but of the three wires coming off the back of the light one is blue contected to the earth terminal and the other two wires are brown, does this mean that it doesn't matter where they go live or neutral.

Thanks for your imput

Sponsored Links
It sounds that way, although what do the instructions say? Blue does sound a rather odd choice for an earth conductor, but if you're 100% certain it's connected to an earth stud on the fitting then there's no doubt about it, and polarity on the two browns should be unimportant.

thanks i'll give it a go, what do you suggest to connect the wires that where in the rose to the new wires about 12 into 3 ?

cheers

First, don't disconnect ANYTHING from the ceiling rose without making a note of what went where.

Live on the new fitting will be equivalent to the Live/L terminals on the ceiling rose, you can also probably identify this by the brown flex going to the lampholder.

Neutral on the fitting is where the wires that previously went to the neutral terminals on the rose used to go, again you can identify by a blue wire going to the lampholder.

The wires that used to go into the loop terminal on the ceiling rose will need to go into a new, separate terminal block, as it sounds like the fitting only has three terminals from the factory. You can push this terminal into the same wiring space as already provided on the light, but there is no need to physically wire it to any part of the fitting.

All earth connections obviously need to be connected to the fitting's earth terminal.

If you find there are too many wires to put in each terminal block (for example, loop may have three or more) then you will need to purchase some larger terminal/choc blocks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back