Flush radiators using filling loop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All,

Long time lurker, first time poster - Hello :)

It has become time to flush my radiators, on account of them having patchy heating. Being of cheap nature, I'm going avoid paying someone else to powerflush them and see how badly I can mess things up myself. I have a decent amount of DIY plumbing experience (that's not to say I've been doing it right of course!) but my modern central heating experience is fairly limited - changed the pump, diverter valve, PCB and a few other bits and bobs over time, but not much else.

I have a nine year old external oil fired Worcester Bosch 18/25 combi boiler powering seven radiators and I wish to flush the radiators using the method in this thread: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/how-to-flush-a-heating-system-with-mains-water.38902/

I have a couple of questions though - the article says to close the boiler circuit - presumably that would be done with the valve shown in the picture below? (I actually need to replace that valve as it doesn't seem to do anything.)

boiler_flow_pipes.jpg

The next question would be where to drain. I've had engineers round when the boiler went wrong in the past and they both drained from two different points (see picture below), but they couldn't say why they did it from their chosen point and whether it was better than the other drain point - I think the basically used the drain point they saw first. Is there a difference between the two? Why does it have two in fact? Can I use either one?
boiler_drain_pipes.jpg

Many thanks,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Before you do that (or perhaps instead of doing that) why not remove your radiators, take them outside, empty them, flush through with a hose, half fill with water, shake 'em up, flush, repeat until you get clear water running out of them. That’ll get much more crud out of the system than just running cold water through them. You could then perhaps add some chemical flush when you refill, run the system for a while, drain and refill with fresh water a few times then add some inhibitor. I did that about 18 months after I had a powerflush and just before a new boiler was being fitted and I got a right load of crud out of the rads. I have a sealed system but if yours is vented, don’t forget to clean out the header tank too.

Last edited:
I did consider that, and I've not totally ruled it out, but as well as being cheap and I'm also quite lazy so I was hoping to get away with doing the minimum amount of possible :)

Sponsored Links
Very true, I'm probably not considered one of life's winners :)

You will never be able to get a chemical mains/gravity flush to clean the system, especially rads with definite cold spots, anywhere near the same as taking them off the wall and hosing them out until it runs clear.

Dose the system with cleaner, run it for a few days, rads isolated and off the wall and flushed via every tapping while tapping the bottom middle with a rubber mallet.

Well inhibited and then a Mag filter, if none fitted, would be ideal.

They are isolation valves you can flush using them and drain from the return line put cleaner in a week before then flush.Bob

99% of "patchy heating" I come across is due to poor balancing, incorrect pump and bypass settings diverter letting by etc.
Genuine sludge in radiators is very rare...if the system was that bad your plate heat exchanger would be causing issues.
Whilst the rads are still connected to the rad valves you will never get a sufficient flowrate to clear them out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back