Flushed twice......water still dirty (CH problem)

OK

I will give it another go.

I will drain down the system a few times (might as well get it as clean as I can before I start) then add X800 and crank up the heating. Then 24 hours later, flush it out.

If it still trips out after that........I think I've been beaten

Sponsored Links
If you think you have a sediment problem, it really is worth fitting a system filter as well.

You did all this, didn't you?

do you mean the boiler cutout is operating, or what?

you might need to turn the pump speed up

have you looked inside the pump, and is it clogged or worn?

Have you bled all the rads, and the pump, with the pump not running?

Has the circulating water gone black with loosened sludge?

Are the flow pipe and the return pipe on the boiler both too hot to hold? What about the flow and return pipes on all the rads?

chemicals can be usually be run cold, but take longer. Have a look at the manufacturers website.

X800 is much faster than X400 and usually works in hours, not weeks.

do you mean the boiler cutout is operating, or what? ......I don't know what that means, It flashes red I then have to reset it

you might need to turn the pump speed up ....it is always at no3 (highest)

have you looked inside the pump, and is it clogged or worn? ..... no, i'm wary of stripping the pump down ic case I can't put it back togethor again (is it easy to do (it looks like this one http://www.screwfix.com/p/wilo-4132507-smart-central-heating-pump-a-rated/53435 )

Have you bled all the rads, and the pump, with the pump not running? ..... Do you mean loosen the big brass screw on the front of the pump,Yes, that is what I do first, I then fire up the sytem and bleed again to get more air out

Has the circulating water gone black with loosened sludge? ..... it DID look dirtier and it I think it had bits in it (which I assumed was good), but I don't know how "thick" sludge is.

Are the flow pipe and the return pipe on the boiler both too hot to hold? What about the flow and return pipes on all the rads? ......yes

chemicals can be usually be run cold, but take longer. Have a look at the manufacturers website. ......... How do you get the pump to circulate, but the boiler not to fire up...........or do you just turn the boiler down very low

X800 is much faster than X400 and usually works in hours, not weeks.......I wrongly assumed the longer I left it in the better...sorry

Sponsored Links
Use X400 or X800 ( stronger ) but only leave it in for 5-6 weeks and one day respectively.

Then flush out with water a couple of times and then add X100.

Thats all you need to do.

Its still not clear to me what your problem is! Is yours a pressurised system or open vented with header tank?

If open vented there may be another problem!

Tony

In that case its difficult to guess why you seem to have had further diry after you said you had cleaned it out.

I can only guess that you had not really cleaned it adequately!

Part of the work is to direct the flow through each rad individually one at a time! Starting with the most blocked if there is a poor flow problem!

Tony

Ok

Thanks John / Tony. your help and patience has been much appreciated.

After my holidays I'm going to give it another good flush out, put X800 in for 18 -24 hours and leave the boiler to pump it round. Then flush it out again then add x100 and cross my fingers.

Well obviously he does but properly treated as I have suggested should clear it.

Dont forget the each rad aspect!

Tony

you mean one of these?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fernox-tf1-total-filter-22mm/84311

I take it once the system is drained out, I cut one of the big pipes above my boiler.

Does it matter which one I cut?

Also, will the residual water that is left in the system (there will always be a bit going up from the boiler intot he main house) not spill onto the boiler, creating me more of a problem?

If there is not enough room for one of these can it go in the "airing cupboard"?

If so, where?

There could be several things still wrong with this - from simple air locks, worn out/blocked pump, system design, dodgy thermostat, etc etc.
X800 doesn't dissolve everything, if it's bad.
But a bit of dirty water may not be stopping it working properly, but we don't know how you're flushing it.

There's no diagnosis going on here.
Do all the rads get hot quickly/evenly?
How hot are the flow and return pipes when it cuts out?
Always similar or sometimes cooler?

there's lots more, like it's normally easy to spot a dud board..
You may need to get someone with a bit more knowledge to look at it.

X800 does not dissolve anything as its only a chellating agent!

I went to change a pump and found the pipes largly blocked by soft dirt.

Put X400 and asked him to run it for a few hours just through a double panel which is vey slow to see if it can improve that.

Normally I would use citric acid but the rads are about 35 years old and that could be a bit risky.

Tony

have you looked inside the pump, and is it clogged or worn? ..... no, i'm wary of stripping the pump down ic case I can't put it back togethor again
well at least take it off and have a look. I found it very easy to take apart, you just need strong Allen keys.

Just a quick update on this thread.

I caved in and called a plumber out who said it would be one of 2 things

1) the pump is noisy and so could be on its way out

2) the card is suspect

The pump was changed for £125 (parts and labour) but this did not cure the problem.

He then said he had one of the suspect cards in his garage and changed that for £100 (parts and labour)..............That was 4 weeks ago :D :D :D

So this is just a quick note to bring closure to this thread, and to offer my sincere thanks to all those contributors who gave me advice and guidance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back