Flushing a Fernox C.H. Filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, experts. Until it became a bit too much of a chore, because of physical infirmity, I would flush the Fernox magnetic filter attached to our CH system, myself. I did it about every two months I would unscrew the top, take out the "rod" containing the magnet, and flush it under a tap. Very occasionally, I would also drain it via the outlet at the bottom of the case.

Recently, I asked an engineer, doing the annual boiler service, if he would he also service the filter. He said he would (though it was not officially part of the service), and to do this, he unscrewed the nut at the bottom of its case, and drained it (which was fine, of course). However, when I asked him why he had not unscrewed the cap and flushed the "rod" under a tap, he said that this was not necessary, and that when he drained the filter of water, this would take all the muck, stuck around the rod, with it. Well, he was the professional, and I did not like to insist on what I would have preferred, which was to both drain it as he had done, but also to flush the rod under a tap.

Can someone knowledgeable on this forum bear out what the man said, or is there someone that would take the view that it is necessary to do both things — flush the rod separately and drain the case, to be sure that the filter is cleaned properly? The filter will now not be touched for a year.
With thanks in hopes of some reassurance,
A.W.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back