Flushing chemicals for blocked pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Question about what the installers out there use or do when faced with badly blocked pipework when fitting a new boiler on an existing system.

The sandy brown sludge which normally collects around the neutral point on conventional systems (but which sometimes crops up in other areas too) would do horrors to newer boilers with cylindrical type h/e's as the waterways are so small. I use Ferroquest when Powerflushing, but this doesn't touch the aforementioned brown stuff, so I usually end up having to renew the visibly affected pipework at a greater cost to the customer.

I have reservations about using acid based chemicals when powerflushing systems aged more than 20 years old because many of the older engineers who I trained under said that the stronger chemicals often broke through weaker joints - which would lead to yet more expense for my customers and potentially me...

However, short of re-piping the whole house there is no way for me to be sure that all of the sludge is gone. Are there any pre-treatment type chemicals which anyone reccommends? Or should I be looking at using stronger stuff like FX2 or even DS40?

cheers

Paul

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back